Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Criteria to Start Treatment

This Rheumatoid Arthritis forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Criteria to Start Treatment
Wow...lucky me. The first person to post in the expert forum :)

I've had minor joint pain for about 6 months now and tested for positive RF factor in February (30). In May was tested again and RF went up 3 points to 33. I've got no morning stiffness, rednesses, swelling, or fatigue and all rest of bloodwork is normal including CCP, Sed, and CRP. I have minor joint pain and both thumbs "catch" a few times a day. I had a MRI last week and everything was normal. Other causes of a positive RF have been ruled out.

I understand that RA can take a while to present and am curious what your own criteria for starting treatment is? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Regards,
Cory
Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis incorporates the use of first-line drugs (aspirin and corticosteroids for pain and inflammation). Start the treatment with increasing symptoms.

For criteria:
http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/physician-corner/education/acr/acr.html#class_rheum

Take care!