Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Deficit of Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase and RA

This Rheumatoid Arthritis forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

I am a man of 43 years old, and I have been suffering for more than 24 years about a rare form of a dysautonomia, the condition is called  Deficit of Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase, since February 2009 I have been also suffering about RA, despite I am still waiting to be diagnosed, but my RF is very high and i have all the symptoms of the disorder. I would like to know if there is any correlation between the two disorders.

Thanks Max  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Dopamine beta hydroxylase deficiency is a condition which causes inadequate dopamine beta hydroxylase enzyme.  It is a condition of the autonomic nervous system due to deficiency of the enzyme DBH, which converts dopamine to norepinephrine . This leads to an increase in dopamine levels and a decrease in nor epinephrine levels.
So there are symptoms due to deficiency of norepinephrine and also symptoms due to increase in Dopamine in blood.
Norepinephrine deficiency causes hypotension (decrease in blood pressure), nasal stuffiness, and falling eyelids with other notable symptoms. Dopamine increase cause prolactin suppression and issues with digestion, such as increase in vomiting.

This form of dysautonomia is different from familial dysautonomia and is not related to your rheumatoid arthritis.

I suggest you to continue treatment with dysautonomia and go to a Rheumatologist for complete proper diagnosis of Rheumatoid arthritis and for starting the treatment.

Take care!