Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Great toe fracture

This Rheumatoid Arthritis forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Great toe fracture

I hav been diagnosed wit a great toe(big toe) fracture in my left leg...doctor has done buddy taping &suggested me to take rest for four weeks..
Its been 10 days now since im on rest..bt it still pains a lot to me..i keep my leg straight on d pilow for support however Since i still have pain in it and i feel that my toe becomes numb along wit the toe on wich it is buddy taped...I want suggestions regarding

* d numbness im facing in it for hours..
* whether i shd walk or stand a little..
* hw mch time wl i take to recover bcoz im not able to avail many holidays..

..please suggest d precautions i shd take
Dear friend,

Fracture of the phalanges (including the great toe) heals within 8-12 weeks, when treated with Buddy Strapping.
However persistent inflammation may obstruct the normal healing pattern, so would suggest you to take anti-inflamatory medicines.
However if still the inflammation persists then there can be 2 reasons -
1) You are not taking good amount of rest for the bone healing
2) The alignment of the fractured bones might have changed, causing the pain and swelling.

For the 2nd reason, you need to have a followup with the doctor.
Ideally every 3 weeks, check X-Rays are required to re-confirm the position.

However if you want to walk, please do heel walking only. Don't let the toe come in contact with the ground.

Feel free to discuss more.
Regards...
Dear friend,

Feel free to discuss more.
Regards...