Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
LDN for RA

This Rheumatoid Arthritis forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

LDN for RA

I have had RA for 15 years, started after Golden Staph and heaps of antibiotics.'Have used all the usual drugs all of which caused all sorts of health problems without helping the RA. Have recently started to us Low Dose Naltrexone, 4.5mg each night. Pain has increased, fuzzy head, need to sleep more. Can anyoine tell me how long LDN takes tro kick in and are these symptoms normal. LND is OFF LABEL aqnd prepared for me by a compouding chemist.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Naltrexone in medical terminology is a pure opioid antagonist. I advise you to take it with a medical prescription as the dose you are taking seems to be very less to decrease the pain of Rheumatoid arthritis.
You should be careful when it is locally prepared, on the quality and the dosage.
You have these sedative symptoms you are experiencing and with time you will adjust.
It is orally active and also has a long duration of action for 1-2 days once you take a dose.

Take care!
Thank you for your advice. The 4.5mg is the recommened dose as far as I know.  Since taking 4.5 morning pain has beeen better but by evening the RA flares and then,  by 9pm , pain eases. Can you advise please. I take the med at 9pm.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear nighty,

Hello!

The safe adult dosage is 4.5mg taken once daily at night. Because of the rhythms of the body's production of master hormones, LDN is best taken between 9pm and 3am and you are doing in perfectly.

I was more concerned by the compounding by a pharmacist and the accuracy of dosage. If that is the only drug you are consuming you can take maximum 8-10mg in an increasing dosage over a period of time to control the pain depending on the body structure and also the no of years you have developed RA.  

I want to tell you that if in addition to the low dose Naltrexone , which masks only the symptom of pain, if you consume other anti rheumatoid drugs like DMARDs and biologic response modifiers this will be beneficial to you.

If you can take it on standard prescriptions, prescribed by Rheumatologist then it would solve the problem of compounding.

I would tell you to reduce the dosage to decrease the adverse effects you are facing and add some other drug along with it if you continue taking it from a pharmacist.

Take care!
Thank you so much, your advice has been ecellent and I will adjust to it.
My compounding chemist assures me that he makes to a +- 3% accuracy which is 7%
better than pharaceutical companies so I don't think I have to worry about that. I guess that having had the problem for so long it will take a while to fix it. Sadly I cannot take Dmards because of persistant gut ptoblems. Just one day now and again without pain is a blessing.
Thank you so much for your help
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Mild pain relievers such as aspirin and acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be sufficient along with LDN. Studies have shown that acetaminophen given in adequate doses can often be equally as effective as prescription anti inflammatory medications in relieving pain in the knees. Since acetaminophen has fewer gastrointestinal side effects than NSAIDS it is preferred.

This only is a suggestion and take it only when required.

Take care!