Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Rheumatoid Arthritis

This Rheumatoid Arthritis forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have a postive ANA 1:40 speckled pattern. Negative rheumatoid factor. I have over the last ten years had multiple surgeries on my shoulder and cervical spine. I have knee/ankle/wrist/finger (bilateral carpal tunnel) discomfort and in the last two months have had severe hip pain. It seems that when I take the medrol dose paks or get steriod injections that I feel better for several weeks, but the joint pain comes back and is so severe recently that I am having difficulty walking. I seen a rheumatologist today who did yet another injection and ordered a sed rate. Could I have RA without the rheumatoid factor being postive? I feel at age 47 and having all these symptoms for such a long time that there must be a reason for all this joint problems that I have. I want to get to the route of the problems and hopefully something there is something I can do to slow the process down. At this rate I will be unable to walk before I am 60.
Dear Friend,
Many thanks for posting the question via my forum.
Well for one of your specific question, please find the answer -

"Could I have RA without the rheumatoid factor being postive?"
               Well yes. RA in adults have a 70-30 ratio. 30% of the blood reports are negative for RA.
There is a specific blood test - Serum CCP which is 99% Positive for RA. THat is generally performed by the physicians now a days.
All you need is to do a proper/good physiotherapy so as your joints remain in good shape and mobility and so does your muscles...
For everything else, you need a rheumatologist's opinion , so as to get a better control over the disease.

Feel free to discuss more, in case of any doubts.
Regards...
Dear Friend,

Regards...