Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Expert Forum
Accutane... waiting less than 6 months

Questions in the Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Forum are being answered by Paul S. Nassif, MD. Topics include: Anesthesia, Best candidates for Rhinoplasty, Considerations, Endonasal (inside nose) Rhinoplasty, External Rhinoplasty, Nose Reshaping, Pre-Operation, Post Operation, Recovery, Risks, Surgery

Accutane... waiting less than 6 months

Hi, I have a question pertaining to the accutane / surgery relationship. I have read that in most cases it is advised to wait 6 months after finishing your course of accutane before undergoing surgery. I have also read howveer that some people's surgeons have said that it would be fine to undergo a rhinoplasty after 3 or so months being off accutane. Normally I'd wait 6 months, but the problem is, this year the only chance I'll have at getting a thinoplasty will be 3 months after I have been off accutane. If I don't get it then I will have to wait a year and a half for my next opportunity. I am going to begin attending a new university about 5 months after finishing my accutane course. I was VERY much hoping it'd be possible to get the rhinoplasty done before starting there. My main question is this: is it generally safe enough to have a rhinoplasty done 3 months after taking my last accutane pill (I'm only doing a medium amount of accutane, not very large doses)? Thanks for any help. :)
Dear randomnamehere,

There is no cut and dry answer to this question.  Sometimes you can wait three months; sometimes you can wait six months.  No one really knows the proper answer to this question, it depends on the patient.  

The best thing to do would be to ask the plastic surgeon what their comfort level is and to see how they feel.  In certain situations, three months can be fine especially if it is a closed rhinoplasty.  

I hope this helps and good luck to you,  

Dr. Nassif

Paul Nassif, M.D.
Spalding Drive Cosmetic Surgery and Dermatology
Beverly Hills, California