Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Expert Forum
Are their certain noses that just cant get smaller?

Questions in the Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Forum are being answered by Paul S. Nassif, MD. Topics include: Anesthesia, Best candidates for Rhinoplasty, Considerations, Endonasal (inside nose) Rhinoplasty, External Rhinoplasty, Nose Reshaping, Pre-Operation, Post Operation, Recovery, Risks, Surgery

I have had 2 nose surgeries since April and I am still not happy with the tip. I had a large bulbous nose and the first procedure the doctor broke my nose to narrow it and narrowed my nostrils whick looks good. However, my main concern was the bulbous tip I wanted small. He hardly did anything at all the first time (which I dont understand) but he agreed to do it again about a month and a half ago. My nose is smaller than it was but it still has a tip that I think he could have made smaller. My question to you is: are their certain noses that just cant be small?
Dear Jenb8,

Thank you for your question.  It is very difficult for me to answer this question since I don’t know exactly what the physician did.  If you have very thick skin, it can be very difficult to make your nose appear smaller.  Sometimes manipulating the cartilage in noses with thick skin will not do much unless you increase the projection of the nose a good amount.  That is like putting a pole in the middle of a big round tent and pushing it upwards, the tent will narrow.  

If you would like to have help evaluating your nose, I would need copies of the operative reports and photos of your nose.  I am not sure if you can upload your photos here, but if you can, please do.  You can also upload your photos on my website at www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/contact.html and I will evaluate them.  If you do send them through my website, please include a note that says that I asked you to send me your photos regarding your MedHelp question.  Be sure that you send a frontal, a lateral and ¾ view as well a base view looking up the nose.  

Thank you for your question and I look forward to seeing your photos,

Dr. Nassif

Paul Nassif, M.D.
Spalding Drive Cosmetic Surgery and Dermatology
Beverly Hills, California