Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Expert Forum
Bones shifting after surgery

Questions in the Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Forum are being answered by Paul S. Nassif, MD. Topics include: Anesthesia, Best candidates for Rhinoplasty, Considerations, Endonasal (inside nose) Rhinoplasty, External Rhinoplasty, Nose Reshaping, Pre-Operation, Post Operation, Recovery, Risks, Surgery

Bones shifting after surgery
Dear Experts,
I had an open rhino/septoplasty almost 6 weeks ago to address a deviated nose. In general, I am pleased with the results of reshaping (the nose appears straight), but I am very concerned about the bridge becoming significantly wider post-surgery despite the fact that the doctor moved the bones closer by about 1mm on either side. Is it possible that the bones shifted after surgery, due to edema, because I was not fitted with the cast? The doctor packed and taped my nose but both packing and tape were removed four days later, and from what I see on various rhinoplasty forums everyone who had a procedure involving an osteotomy was put in a cast for the first week. My nose was VERY swollen in the first couple of weeks, and still is. I should also mention that after the initial swelling receded I could see and feel bumps on either side of the bridge, these have not changed in size since I've noticed them. My fear is that what I see is not soft tissue swelling but the bones that have ended up two wide apart. Please help!!!!
Julie
Hello Julie,

It is still very soon after your procedure, and you will experience significant swelling. At this point, it would be best to ask any specific questions to your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. He/she will be able to give you the best advice regarding your situation.  Thank you very much for the inquiry, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif
surgery makes swollen so i think you can wait and try putting ike on thingi and tell ur obgyn or dr