Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Expert Forum
How long should the nose be swollen and sore for following a rhinoplast...

Questions in the Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Forum are being answered by Paul S. Nassif, MD. Topics include: Anesthesia, Best candidates for Rhinoplasty, Considerations, Endonasal (inside nose) Rhinoplasty, External Rhinoplasty, Nose Reshaping, Pre-Operation, Post Operation, Recovery, Risks, Surgery

How long should the nose be swollen and sore for following a rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty tip procedure done in early December of last year when I was 18. Well, it's now mid-October, 10 months later, and you can not tell I had anything done. There is still a large bump. I have read that swelling should be completely gone by 4-6 months. I went back to my plastic surgeon and he keeps assuring me that everything is fine and a little sweling is normal, however when I touch my bridge it does not feel soft it feels like cartilage. I last went in to complain and inquire in August and he requested I come back in December! I spent nearly $5000 on this operation and am NOT happy with the outcome. This was a big deal for me and I feel like I wasted so much money. What should I do?
Dear Hormoaning,

It usually takes a complete year for all the swelling to go away.  I do agree with the doctor to wait, come back in December and then see how everything is.  Sometimes, if you have very thick nasal tip skin, it may hide the changes that you have had in the nose.  

I hope this helps and please be patient.

Dr. Nassif

Paul Nassif, M.D.
Spalding Drive Cosmetic Surgery and Dermatology
Beverly Hills, California