Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Expert Forum
septum deviation and nostrils expand

Questions in the Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Forum are being answered by Paul S. Nassif, MD. Topics include: Anesthesia, Best candidates for Rhinoplasty, Considerations, Endonasal (inside nose) Rhinoplasty, External Rhinoplasty, Nose Reshaping, Pre-Operation, Post Operation, Recovery, Risks, Surgery

septum deviation and nostrils expand

I am 20 years old.I have small septum deviation and i usually have a runny nose and i can not breath very well even if the nose it is not runny.I noticed that whenever i breath in my nostrils expand ,get wider ,is this normal or it's sign that there is not enough air going in?

I would really need to see photos and/or perform an examination to give you the best advice.  It sounds like you may be deviated, and the nostrils are expanding to compensate for the narrow airway.   Please feel free to send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. My contact information is listed in my profile.  You may also call the office for a consultation. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif