Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Expert Forum
surgery in conjunction with septoplasty

Questions in the Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs) Forum are being answered by Paul S. Nassif, MD. Topics include: Anesthesia, Best candidates for Rhinoplasty, Considerations, Endonasal (inside nose) Rhinoplasty, External Rhinoplasty, Nose Reshaping, Pre-Operation, Post Operation, Recovery, Risks, Surgery

surgery in conjunction with septoplasty
Is there ever a true "medically necessary" reason for rhinoplasty?  I can't breath through my nose and have terrible, debilitating fatigue (I believe due to trouble breathing while sleeping).  I am having septoplasty with turbinate reduction soon.  The ENT said my turbinates are "enormous" and ever since the problem started my nose has become much more "bulbous."  I am petite and have extremely small features and my nose used to be cute and small, now it's round and looks like the swollen turbinates have caused it to sort of push out on the sides. It is a vanity issue, but I also notice that if I push down the sides of the very top of my nose (the part that's now bigger) I can actually breathe better.  I'd love to have something done about it, but I can't afford a vanity surgery and am wondering if there are any circumstances under which rhinoplasty might be deemed medically necessary?  Probably a stretch, but I figured it can't hurt to ask!

Many aspects of the rhinoplasty can be covered by insurance if breathing issues are involved in addition to the septum and turbinates.  Hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif