Cunnilingus STD transfer
Hello doctor,

8 days ago I briefly performed oral sex/cunnilingus on a woman I met that day at a party, and I am concerned about the chances of contracting an STD.  

To my knowledge she did not have one already, and no penetrative sex took place, so for those reasons I am beginning to feel I may just be panicking.  One detail I feel is worth pointing out however is that at the time she was menstruating.  She was wearing a tampon so I did not make contact with that area, focusing only on the clitoris.  I did not see any menstrual fluids.  I performed this act for approx 30 - 45 seconds.

I have read online (including this website) that the risk of contracting HIV this way is extremely low (almost non-existent), and that STD transfer from female to male in this fashion is also very low risk.  

I have not witnessed any physical symptoms listed online that relate to infection such as sores, etc.

Therefore my questions are: how long should I wait before going for any tests as I am anxious to put this behind me?  With it only being a week since the event, am I right in my belief tests at this point would not be of any use?   Assuming I entered your own clinic with the above scenario, what tests would you feel were warranted?  Finally, if I had sexual intercourse with another person, how soon after exposure would it be possible for me to transfer anything to them?

Many thanks.
Hello

I am sorry that you've had to wait so long for this answer.

I agree that the prospect of you contracting HIV from performing cunninglingus is exceptionally unlikely so I would not advise testing for HIV for this only.

The chances of acquiring a different STD such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea are higher but your episode was short lived and she was not a sex worker so I don't see this as a likely prospect either.

It is possible to acquire and pass on an STD such as gonorrhoea almost as soon as you have acquired it. If you wanted to be absolutely certain to rule things out then a throat swab for chlamydia and gonorrhoea would be appropriate. I would not be keen to suggest testing for other things.

kind regards, Sean
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.