STDs - International Expert Forum
Do I have gonorrhea?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Do I have gonorrhea?

8 weeks ago, I had unprotected oral sex but protected intercourse with woman#1. About a few days after that, I notice a tiny amount of clear discharge from my penis, which I assumed was urine. Slight discomfort when urinating. After 1 week, problems went away.

3 weeks ago, had unprotected intercourse with my gf, but used a condom before ejaculating. No oral sex.

2 weeks ago, had unprotected oral sex but protected intercourse with another woman#2.

1 week ago, I notice penis discharge again, this time it is milky color. Also, more painful urination, but not too painful.

4 days before the test, I began taking Azithromycin which I already had at home. The day after I began taking the Azith, my discharge was greatly reduced and there was no pain during urinating. The discharge was only sporadic, and even disappeared for a day or two. Have not had any sexual contact with anyone since woman#2.

I took the STD test before I finished the full 5 days of Azith. The doctor examined my penis, noticed a small amount of white discharge, and suspected gonorrhea. He took a sample of discharge, urine sample and blood sample. One of the tests came back within 3 hours and it was negative for gono. However, doctor said that due to my symptoms, he still believed I had gono and that the Azith was reason for negative test.

I live in a foreign country with poor healthcare quality. It was difficult to get more details from him due to the language barrier. He prescribed a treatment given through an IV plus a machine that uses heat/light on the genitals. He said that pills are not as effective, so this is the best treatment.

1) Does doctor seem reliable?
2) Can the Azith clear up gono w/in 4 days, enough so that a test would not detect it?
3) Did I get gono from woman #1 or woman #2, if at all? Doctor said that I got it from woman #2 since gono symptoms show up within 1 week after getting gono.
4) Do you think I have gono?
Good Morning

Thanks for your post.

You have asked specifically:-

1) Does doctor seem reliable?

Well - apart from the warm light thing which seems weird I think what he's said is reasonable. I've no idea what the light thing is.

The azithromycin may have dealt with gonorrhoea - its not the first line treatment but it does definitely have some effect on the gonorrhoea so it may have altered the test results.

No idea - you could have acquired whatever you acquired from any of the women you have had sex with including your girlfriend.

4) Do you think I have gono?

Probably not - it is more likely that you have either an NSU or chlamydia. I understand you are in a different country with what you describe as poor healthcare. I would suggest, that you keep a condom on for ALL sexual activity including being sucked. I would also suggest that in the absence of reliable testing methods that you ask your doctor there if you can be treated with doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 7 days and 400 mg cefixime as a single dose.

Your girlfriend needs testing as well and probably treating as it is distinctly possible that you have infected her.

best regards, Sean