STDs - International Expert Forum
HPV Transmission via open Fingernail
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HPV Transmission via open Fingernail

Doctors, I've been following Dr Edward Hook's postings and offer this question(s): Can I get HPV transmitted through underneath the finger nail if this area under the nail is open? Is there a risk for HPV transmission via this finger scenario?

Background: With my index finger and the middle digit, I fingered a woman known to have HPV on November 26, 2012. No intercourse. No 'genitals-on-gentials' or regional activity; Rather, I entered her vaginal canal by inserting two of my fingers. I had later discovered, I had clipped my finger nails perhaps too short, producing an opening that separates the nail from the skin on my index finger: this area I believe is known as the matrix unguis, keratogenous membrane, 'nail matrix,' or "onychostroma" and is part of the nail bed beneath the nail, specifically the leading edge under the nail exposed to air so it is part dry, part moist, and the nail bed itself further inside contains nerves, lymph and blood vessels. (not the nail groove along the sides where hand nails form, nor the "eponychium".) I felt this area underneath my nail, because it was open, and would sting when I washed my hands. I did not detect any blood coming out from this area. We were bathing in very sudsy, epsom salt bath water.

I have visited with my general physician in person and described the above scenario who informs me of minimal, if any, risk. However, I seek a second opinion via this Expert Forum.
Tags: hpv transmission, HPV, fellatio hpv, high-risk HPV, lowrisk hpv, hpv by fingering a vagina, hpv transmission by fingernail
1024580_tn?1331577721
Hello,
Thank you for your post.
I do not beleive that this would have posed any risk to you of having contracted HPV.  The main way of transmission is genital to genital and genital to oral.  I do not think that you need to be concerned about this.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
936016_tn?1332769204
Dr Sean CummingsBlank
FreedomHealth
London,
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker