STDs - International Expert Forum
HSV2

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

HSV2

Hi Drs -

I was reading through some older posts and had some questions.  In a reply, Dr. Jose said "equally most people would only be infectious during an outbreak.  However there is a small number of people who can shed the virus and not have any symptoms.  Although these people would have certainly had a first outbreak at some stage before becoming asymptomatic viral shedders."  Now, I was screened about 6 years and the number associated with my test was 3.0 and I have read all over that results in the range of 1.1-3.5 are low positives and thus indeterminate.  I did not request this test but the doctor did it anyway.  I have never had any outbreaks, ever.  I know they say that people can have atypical symptoms but I have never had excessive itching or anythign red or any blisters, nothing.  (I am a gay male, by the way). I have always been under the impression that I shed the virus regardless of never having had an outbreak?  Does not having an initial outbreak make me shed less?  How likely would you say it would be for a completely asymptomatic person like myself to shed or pass the infection on?

Thank you for your help
Thank you very much for your post.
Asymptomatic herpes viral shedding is the reactivation of HSV at nerve periphery without visible lesions.  It is much more common with HSV-2 (30%) compared with HSV-1 (15%).  It occurs most commonly in the first 6 months after infection (during a mean 6% of days) dminishing thereafter and falling by at least 70-75% after 10 years.  HSV-2 sexual transmission rate between discordant couples is about 10-15% per year, higher from female to male.  People who experience recurrent symptoms may also occasionally shed the virus asymptomatically as can those who have never had symptoms, even though this is rare.
In your case, you have not had a definite confirmation that you have the virus: you have never had any symptoms, and your blood test result was indeterminate.  It might be worth having the blood test repeated to have an updated situation.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Great, thank you doctor.  What would you suggest as an updated situation.  The herpeselect test again?  or do a different one?  And if it is confirmed that I have HSV 2, since I have hsd it for about 6 years, I shed far less now than in the beginning, correct?  Don't most people get at least an initial outbreak?

Thanks again.
The test required would be a herpes 1 and 2 antibody (IgG) profile.
If positive for HSV-2 and you believe that you have been infected many years ago, you would be much less likely to be an asymptomatic shedder.  You have never had an initial outbreak, which is unusual as most people would have had at least one outbreak.
Best wishes,
Dr José
I am 58,since 2008 Oct. I am suffering with burning sensation on my penis. While intercourse it is becoming red and feeling burning sensation. And feeling pain in penis and testicle (left).  I observed  skin like abrasion.  During 1988 I had out side sex.  so far no complaint.  But since 2009 I am facing problem.