STDs - International Expert Forum
Nail Scratch from Massage

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Nail Scratch from Massage

Greetings,

About two days ago I went to a spa and massage center, I was massaged for an hour by a therapist who seemed to have a cold. I think I got scratched by her fingernail on my back and on my buttocks, I'm afraid of what I might have caught from that scratch. I did not notice any bleeding or broken skin whatsoever I think but the area was red for a few hours, it did not hurt as well, but worried just the same in case the nail broke my skin and may have caused a slight or deep scratch. Two days later I caught cold as well and have been sneezing.

Can you please enlighten me as to what the chances are of catching STD and/or HIV from getting a massage through a fingernail scratch? Is there any risk involved in such activities such as getting massages? If so, what are the risks?

Thanks much.
Thank you for your psot and welcome to our forum.
I can assure you that there was no risk for you at all whatsoever, even if you sustained a scratch.  Getting a massage does not pose any risk of STD, and certainly not HIV, provided no sexual activities take place.  All you have contracted is a cold, nothing else.  No need to be concerned.
Best wishes,
Dr José