STDs - International Expert Forum
Possible oral gonorrhea
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible oral gonorrhea

Hi,

I am writing this beacuse I am worried that I might have an oral gonorrhea infection. The risk situation occurred about four weeks ago when I had very brief unprotected oral sex with a european sex worker. I performed cunnilungus on the girl for about 30 seconds. The cunnilungus was shallow and the girl had just had a shower so I don't think there were any vaginal fluids involved. We also did some (rather deep) french kissing.

I know putting me in this situation is very stupid and I fell heavily burdened with guilt.

About a week after the situation I experienced a very sore throat. Because of my current situation I have not been able to test myself for gonorrhea ( however I just today tested negative for HIV, which I know is a bit early but at least indicational). Even though I havn't tested I have been taking some antibiotics. And yes - I know self medication isn't to be recommended - but at the time I felt I had no choice.

The first week after the situation I took a dose of ciproflaxin (500mg) twice daily for seven days. After that week I took one single dose of azitromax of 1500mg. Still feeling a sore throat a week later I took a single dose of cefixime 400mg combined with azitromax 1000mg. After this the sore thorat cleared up.

However I am still feeling a bit strange in the pharynx - a bit like a cold with some mucus/slime, nasal congestion and a very slight discomfort. I am not having a sore throat.

1. Might this be oral gonorrhea?

2. Did the encounter described above pose high risk for oral gonorrhea?

3. Is it likely that the medication I have been taking should have cured a possible infection?

I know all of this might sound like I am totally crazy, but I really need your advice. Thanks for your help!

/R
1024580_tn?1331577721
Hello,
Thank you for your post.  Here are your answers as follows:

1. Might this be oral gonorrhea? POSSIBLE, BUT UNLIKELY.  IN ANY CASE, IF YOU HAD CONTRACTED IT, IT WOULD HAVE CLEARED WITH THE COMBINATIONS OF ANTIBIOTICS TAKEN.

2. Did the encounter described above pose high risk for oral gonorrhoea?
NO, IT WOULD HAVE NOT.  IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO CONTRACT GONORRHOEA IN THE THROAT THROUGH PERFORMING ORAL SEX ON A WOMAN.

3. Is it likely that the medication I have been taking should have cured a possible infection?
ABSOLUTELY.

Best wishes,
Dr José
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
936016_tn?1332769204
Dr Sean CummingsBlank
FreedomHealth
London,
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank