STDs - International Expert Forum
Recovered patient

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Recovered patient

I went trough syphilis treatment 18 years ago. Treatment went well, after two years of constant visits to doctor for testing I was told I am free. I was young and all I cared if I can have healthy baby in future. I was told that after three after treatment I can get pregnant without any health concerns for baby. Exactly three years later I gave birth a healthy baby. I was so happy, so I wanted to forget about it forever. But I never was clear is there anything can be pass to a baby after all treatments were done and precautions were taking in consideration? I know that I can't be a donor because my blood is always will contain titre of the disease in the past. How about my daughter can she still have it in her blood?

Next, I was also wonder if there any legal responsibility exist in USA for not to say doctors about your past disease? Sometime I am saying it, sometime i am not. It's very hard, I know I wont harm anybody. Many years past by I feel fine and I want to forget about it as nightmare. Because it really was!
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.  Apologies for not having replied sooner but we have been extremely busy in the clinic in Olympic London!
It sounds that you have been succesfully treated and therefore you do not carry the disease anymore, and you cannot infect the baby.  You do carry syphilis antibodies, which can be transmitted through the placenta during the pregnancy.  They can remain in the baby's blood for up to 6 months following the birth.  After that the baby will be negative for syphilis.  No need to worry about your daughter.
It is standard to check for syphilis when pregnant.  Your blood tests will always show a positive syphilis antibody, with a negative VDRL, which indicates previous syphilis, successfully treated.  I do not believe that you have any legal responsibility to disclose any of your medical history as it is confidential, at least here in the UK.  It is entirely up to you.  However it is sometimes useful for a doctor treating you to know about your previosu medical history.
Best wishes,
Dr José