STDs - International Expert Forum
Risk of STD

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Risk of STD

Dear Dr. Jose,

I am a 30 years old male. I had an unprotected oral fellatio, I being the insertive partner with a sex worker in July 2010. I had a fever the next day but it was most likely because of change in temperature. Fever lasted only a day and from day 2 or 3, I was perfectly all right. After that I had unprotected oral sex with my GF then (wife now) many times. After that I had two sexual encounters with prostitute in recent months, but all of them with protection during both oral and intercourse. I never had any symptoms of Gonorrhea except that sometimes I have very small blood on the napkin after the going to stool. My questions what are my chances of catching gonorrohea and chlamydia? I had gone for testing today for both these diseases as my wife plans to join me and we plan to have babies....
Hello John

The only way to know whether you are acquiring any sort of STD from your experiences outside your relaionship is to test.

Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis are easily spread - but they are also easily tested for and generally straightforward to test. I certainly think you should test for these since I imagine your wife thinks you are not cheating on her and if you do have something then you might spread it to her and that will cause her problems. My strong advice is for you to test after these episodes.

kind regards, Sean
One more things -

1) How much risk I am at for syphilis? Should I get tested for them as well?

How much time does it take to answer a paid question?
Thanks for your reply Dr. Cummings. I got tested for HIV, Hep B, Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis on 8th May which was 4 days after last  sexual encounter. Before this, I had sex with a CSW on 20th Jan. I got the result and all of them came negative. Do you think I need any more window testing? If yes than of what tests and what time? Also, I bought home test kit for syphilis. I would very much like if you can let me know how reliable are those tests.

Thanks in advance.
Hello John

I may be confused: - you say that you ""tested for HIV, Hep B, Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis on 8th May which was 4 days after last  sexual encounter""

Then you refer to the episode on teh 20th Jan - and then you ask about windows?

The window for an HIV DUO is 28 days; the window for syphyilis Igg/IgM is 28 days; for hepatitis surface antigen 28 days - for chlamydia and gonorrhoea I would say a week - so hopefully that will help you?

kind regards, Sean