STDs - International Expert Forum
Syphilis treatment
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Syphilis treatment

Hi
About 2 weeks ago I gave brief oral sex to another man, he didn't ***.
He has recently found out he has gonorrhea and then syphilis a few days later - dont know why time lag.
I have been given cifixine and azithromycin for the gonorrhea, and now doxycycline for the syphilis due to allergic penicillin.
My question is I was told by doctor to take 2 x 100mg for 14 days. The paper with the pills say syphilis treatment is 2 x 200mg per day (I.e double dose). Googling show some recommend 3 x 100mg daily for 20 days. So is 2 x 100mg not enough or long enough?

Also would the other antibitoics affect treatment. And would what I'm taking interfere with test to take for syphilis in 4 weeks time? Very confused?!!
1024580_tn?1331577721
Hello,
Thank you for your post and welcome to our forum.
In cases of penicillin allergy, the recommended first choice of antibiotics is Doxycylcine 100mg twice daily for 14 days.  Therefore you have been prescribed the correct regime.  These are the latest UK BASSH guidelines.
The other antibiotics prescribed to treat throat Gonorrhoea do not interfere with the treatment for syphilis or the test.  It is important that in 4 weeks' time, your get tested for Syphilis and for throat Gonorrhoea, just to make sure that these treatmetns have been effective, in the case that you have been infected.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
936016_tn?1332769204
Dr Sean CummingsBlank
FreedomHealth
London,
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker