STDs - International Expert Forum
inflamed urethra

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

inflamed urethra

Dear Dr,

I have had urethritis for 4 months. I have taken azithromycin twice, metronidizole twice, oxytetracycline, ofloxacin, aciclover and nitrofuratoin. I tested negative for all nhs testable stds at the start of this except nsu as I had between 5 and 10 wbc phpf on a swab. Just over two weeks after my last treatment I paid the online sti clinic in London to do mycoplasma, trichomonas, hsv and ureaplasma tests and these were also negative as was a uti test but my inflammation remains.

1. I have read a lot online and wonder if it is worth me trying the two known nsu treatments which I have not had...doxycycline for one week or one dose of fluconazole in case it is thrush?

2. Is there any infection that could survive the above that doxy would kill? Perhaps step or straph?

3. If I take the two treatments I mention which my gp said I could try if I wanted, would I put liver or kidney in danger as so should I wait 4 weeks?

Huge thanks in advance.
Thank you for your post.  Here are the answers to all your questions:

1. I have read a lot online and wonder if it is worth me trying the two known nsu treatments which I have not had...doxycycline for one week or one dose of fluconazole in case it is thrush? IT SEEMS THAT WHAT YOU HAVE IS CHRONIC URETHRITIS NOW AND IT IS UNLIKELY THAT THERE IS AN ACTUAL INFECTION IN YOUR URETHRA FTER SO MANY ANTIBIOTICS AND NEGATIVE TEST RESULTS.  IT IS MAINLY RESIDUAL INFLAMMATION SECONDARY TO AN ALREADY TREATED INFECTION AND TENDS TO BE IRRITATED BY THE URINE.  THESE USUALLY CLEAR AFTER TIME.  HOWEVER ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES, TOGETHER WITH ALKALYNISING URINE AGENTS CAN HELP WITH THE SYMPTOMS.  HOWEVER YOU CAN ALWAYS TRY WITH THE ANTIBIOTICS/ANTIFUNGALS THAT YOU HAD NOT TAKEN, AS A TRIAL.

2. Is there any infection that could survive the above that doxy would kill? Perhaps step or straph? THE COMBINATION OF MOST OF THE ANTIBIOTICS TAKEN WOULD HAVE CLEARED MOST INFECTIONS THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED URETHRITIS.

NO, IT SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM.

4.  Can a female partner of mine catch my nsu in her mouth from oral sex? NO.

If your symptoms persist, you shoudl consult with a Urologist.

Best wishes,
Dr José

I also meant to ask please part 4:

Can a female partner of mine catch my nsu in her mouth from oral sex?

I guess this is assuming there is an infection that uti culture and all sti tests that are on the market can or have missed?

I am male by the way and mainly use condoms.