Afraid of getting an STD?
Up until a few days ago, I've never had sex with anyone before. I'm a lesbian and I had sex with my bisexual girlfriend. I know she slept with a man a few years back who only had one partner before her, and she also slept with a girl who I believe was a virgin. We fingered each other and both performed oral. I've been doing research for hours on all the std's you can get because I'm terrified that I'll get HIV or HPV or genital warts or herpes. My mouth was clean and didn't have any cuts or sores when I performed oral and as far as I could tell, her's was clear too. Our genitals didn't actually touch but I did swallow vaginal fluid. I don't remember washing my hands after fingering her, but isn't it true that any viruses present in vaginal fluid pretty much die when they hit the air? I'm freaking out and I feel like I'm being paranoid but I really don't want to contract an std. She does get yearly pap smears and hpv tests, but I'm still worried and need peace of mind.
Well your risk was very very low. I would not worry about STD's, but to be ultra sure why not talk to gf about doing some testing to help you and your fears.
I ended up talking to her about it last night. She gets a yearly pap smear and they always come back normal. The first woman that her ex bf slept with, my gf told me, is clean as far as she knows. I know she always gets tested for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia and they're both always negative. She was with her bf for 5 years and never experienced any problems and the two years before she met me, she never had any outbreaks or problems; so in 7 years total she's been okay. I just like to be sure; don't want to play around with this stuff.
pap testing isn't std testing!!!

performing oral is very low risk in general.

receiving oral is also very low risk.

so what do you do now? both of you should seek out full std testing to know who has what. make sure your testing also includes type specific herpes igg blood testing too.  once you know who has what, you can make educated decisions about what precautions to take.

have you both had your gardasil shots for hpv?

grace
I haven't had gardasil, I don't know about her.
That shot helps prevent HPV. You should look into getting it.
these are things you and your partner need to be discussing - it's all part of being sexually responsible.
I agree. To be completely honest, I didn't even know you could contract an std from oral, but now that I do, I'm taking extra precautions. Probably doesn't help that I've been checking myself every day for any changes; just makes everything worse. Two questions, as I've been looking around the site for similar answers but would just like some clarification:

1. I entered my info into the std risk calculator and it said that contracting genital herpes from receiving oral was around 1 in 100,000 (might have been 10,000, can't remember which). How accurate is that? Are my risks lowered since this was a one time encounter? (it lasted for maybe 15 minutes)

2. About how long before I can get an accurate blood test? And about how long will I have to wait before I can consider myself "not infected"? As in, what's the incubation period for genital herpes before I can say that I'm in the clear?

Thanks!
1. It is a low risk, risk calculator??? Not sure how accurate it would be but it's low risk.

2. 3 month blood test will give you a conclusive result.

I think you might be worrying about this too much.