Dr Handsfield- please help - oral squamous papilloma with dysplasia
      Hi, I coughed up a papilloma/wart in feb 2013. I took it for pathology. The pathology only said benign squamous papilloma. I know this growth was somewhere in my throat, not in my lungs as I had been having this stuck in throat feeling for several months.  During this time i never looked in my mouth to see if i could see anything.  Then on June 10 2013 , I found something growing off my uvula. I would normally not have noticed this as it almost looked like just part of my uvula. I went to an ENT who cut it off the entire growth and sent for path. The report said high grade dysplasia (moderate dysplasia) with hpv cellular changes.  I am having a difficult time finding out information on the Internet about oral warts containing dysplasia. Is this so rare? I went to yet another ENT specializing in head and neck cancers at Emory University in Atlanta. He told me that from all the hpv positive oral cancers he's treated, he has never treated one arising from a wart/papilloma. If this were to regrow in a different area in my mouth in the same form of a wart with dysplasia, will it likely turn cancerous and spread to other areas like a regular oral squamous cell cancer? This doctor also only recommended yearly follow ups, I feel I should have follow ups every 3 months.  I've become obsessed with my mouth, checking it daily.  Does anyone know anything about these types of oral warts that have dysplasia? Am I destined to keep getting these warts or will my immune system ever clear these warts like it often does for genital hpv?
Thanks,
Lana
If you would like an answer from a Dr you have to pay to post in the Expert forum.