Aa
A
A
Close
False positives on STD-test?
Hi,

I am confused whether or not taking antibiotica can cause a false positive on an std-test?

I saw this post in which Grace says it can't: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Antibiotics-and-STD-test/show/1469979

And this post in which someone else says it can cause false positives: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Antibiotics-and-urine-sample-reliabilty/show/1247564

-Does anyone know or have a source in which a clear answer to this questi is given?
-Also after how many weeks after possible infection can an STD be detected, is that 2 weeks?
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
101028 tn?1419606604
we can probably much better help you if you tell us your particular story and why this is a concern for you - thanks!

grace
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Well I wish to be tested for std's 2 weeks after exposure, which is in 1 week time. And I would like to have a reliable result, not the chance of a false positive, cause I am on antibiotics now and for the next few days.
Thank you.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
101028 tn?1419606604
the only std testing that is accurate 2 weeks post encounter is gonorrhea and chlamydia testing.

what antibiotic are you on?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I do not know yet, I have to pick them up today. But do you know if they can affect the std test in such a way that the result will be a false positive?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Find out what you have to take and then come back. But why not test before you take the medication? And 1 week after exposure those 2 STD's Grace mentioned would be a conclusive test. No need to wait 2 weeks to test for those.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
There's a waiting list so I cannot go earlier. But can antibiotics cause a false positive or only false negatives?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
101028 tn?1419606604
it's almost always false negatives, not false positives.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs / STIs Community Resources