HIV blood test- regular procedure at hospital emergency rooms?? STD test refusal by doctor- possible??
Hello Everyone. At the beginning of the year my girlfriend eneded up in hospital emergency room after falling down the stairs and losing conciousnes. Not too long ago I ended up in hospital and stayed overnight because of unexplainable vertigo- i could not walk. In both our cases they took blood samples from us. Now, I read online that it is a standard procedure for hospitals to test for HIV whenever they take blood from you. Is that true?? Who should I contact to find out about the blood results??

BTW shes going to get tested in a couple days for STDs. Can her ginecologist refuse her the test eventhough she had been sexually assaulted in the past without the use of a condom?? I'll mention that when she went to the doctor back then, for some weird stupid reason, they did not test her for STDs...
It is fairly common to test for HIV, and you can call the ER and ask for those results.  If they don't give them, they will refer you to someone who can.

Why would her doctor refuse std tests?  If she gets refused, she needs another doctor.  Its good standard of care to do std testing on patients routinely, and she shouldn't be denied.

AJ

I was tested for hiv back in june of 2006, it came back negative, I got tested 9 months after being with anyone, I have been with my man for almost 5 years and we have been faithful to each other thru out our entire relationship. But back in the end of aug of 2009, we were at a bar, and one of our friends got into a fight and we were tryin to calm him down, in the process I got blood on my hands, but the ambulance guys were there and gave me sum antibacterial wash stuff cuz I was grossed out, and I'm kinda freaked out because I don't know if he has any disease or not, should I get tested again? Please help
Please post in the HIV community.
I received oral sex from someone that has HIV, am I affected????