STDs / STIs Community
IUDs and PID

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

IUDs and PID

About a month ago, I had a Mirena IUD inserted.  I've never had children but I'm in a stable monogamous relationship for more than 2 years now.  I've never had chlamydia or gonorrhea or PID (to my knowledge).

A week after the IUD was inserted, I began having minor discomfort in my pelvic area that did not feel like cramping and did not go away with ibuprofen.  Four days later I went back to the doctor to see if it was PID.  She ran some tests and said she didn't see much evidence of PID but gave me 7 days of Doxycycline anyway because I was more at risk having had the IUD inserted so recently.  The discomfort slowly went away and the cramping returned as I took the antibiotics.

Now, a full month after insertion, I'm experiencing the sense of mild discomfort again.  There's no unusual discharge, pain with sex or other symptoms normally associated with PID (nor was there the first time).  Does this sound like PID or is it more likely simply my body adjusting to the IUD?  Thank you for your help!