STDs / STIs Community
Untreated Herpes?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Untreated Herpes?

If herpes is left untreated, does it get extremely worse?  Or does it depend on your condition?  Or would you only treat herpes if you were sexually active a lot (to prevent outbreaks)?
Tags: penis, sores, virus
You never, ever, ever have to treat your herpes if you don't want to. episodic or outbreak therapy just helps to shorten the duration of the lesions and stop the virus from being active sooner during an ob.  Daily suppressive therapy helps to keep the virus down to a dull roar so that you have less ob's, shed the virus less and reduce the chances of transmitting it to a partner.

If you've never read the herpes handbook and watched the patient counseling video at www.westoverheights.com I highly recommend doing so. Both do a terrific job at going over the major points about herpes and treatments.

grace
Avatar n tn
I don't think it can get any worse... Having the virus is bad enough, but it is possible to have additional outbreak sites on your penis.  I have had the virus for like 4 +years and haven't sought treatment because it will never go away, but it does get me down when I have outbreaks. Masturbation can spread the virus to a new location... to say that you have sores on the right side of your penis and you masturbate, it is possible to observe new sores on the right side or bottom of your penis.  Does this make sense?  Its really hard to tell someone you have it and actually go forth with any type of relationship, let alone sex.  I guess we all must find a way to get through this **** and live life the best we can.