STDs / STIs Community
VDRL reactive; TPHA non-reactive

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

VDRL reactive; TPHA non-reactive

question... i had lab tests that show VDRL reactive (1:1); then we had confirmatory test TPHA non-reactive. what could be the cause of the false positive result ? my doctor said that it could be that i was exposed to syphillis (syphilis) but was treated thus my TPHA showed negative. however, we still treated it with injectable penicillin. my question is, what other factors might have caused the VDRL to show positive?
It could be an old infection, either treated or not.  If you've ever been to a place where a disease called yaws is prevalent (usually very warm places, Africa, etc), then it might be that.

What dose of penicillian are you on?

AJ
You could also ask for an RPR, which is a newer test than the VDRL, and is a bit more accurate.

AJ
could it be because i have hepa b?
No, those wouldn't cross react.

AJ
but being positive from Hepa B is also putting my immune system on a risk, right? i was told that my immune system could be down, and so i was thinking that it is caused by my hepa b infection. my ALT/AST levels were also high.
Have you had a viral load done to see how active your hep b is?  You need to be following up on that.  If you have an active hep b infection, it could be taxing your immune system.

I still don't know if that would cause a false positive for the VDRL, but you should follow up on that too.

AJ
yes, i am a chronic carrier. i've been reading a lot and most of it says that viral infections may cause false positive VDRL results, some mentioned hepatitis.... now, the scariest part to think is if i'm going to have am HIV test.. most probably, it will show positive but the Western Blot test would surely be needed to confirm because of the hep b infection.
I've tested lots of people with hep b for HIV, and only 1 had a false positive.  Its possible, but since you know that, you won't freak.

I don't know how they do it where you live, but where I am, if someone tests pos on the ELISA, they automatically do the WB to confirm.  They did that even before we gave the elisa test results to the patient, and in most cases, only added an additional day or 2 to get the results.

Good luck.
AJ
regarding your 1st statement, that's false positive for what?
A false positive for HIV.

I did a little research, and found that some sites list hepatitis A as a possible reason for a false positive on an RPR and VDRL, but not hep B.  Others list "viral infections," but not hepatitis specifically.

Maybe it could be because of the hep b.  I apologize for my info earlier.  Since hep B is never said specifically, I misstated it.  I wouldn't overly worry in any case - you only had a 1:1.  You can follow up with another test in a few weeks, if you want.  If that number increases a lot, then you have something to worry about.  If you got a 1:2, that's not cause for worry.  If you got a 1:8 or higher, I'd worry.

AJ

Avatar n tn
the same have i seen in wife's case two days before. The test shows that the VDRL is reactive1:4.  But we did the same test in another hosptial... it shows that non-reactive. we did the same again in another lab and it shows that VDRL is reactive 1:2.  Sir, why it is showing differently. is it varying?
Is she pregnant?  Pregnancy can cause false positives on the VDRL.  It could also be a old infection.  Some people will always test positive.

The varying doesn't concern me because its not increasing.  If her next test showed a 1:16, for example, I'd be concerned.  

Are they doing any conformation testing?  If they have a positive VDRL, they should do a comfirmation test on it, which is a different blood test.

AJ
Avatar n tn
No she is not pregnant.  we did the test because she got a selection to Saudi MOH (she is a nurse) and thus we came to know about this. can you advice me about which test we have to do for confirmation.

Doctors saying since it is a minor stage, no need for any treatment.  Plz advise
Avatar n tn
... but now her period is going on... is it because of this????
No, its not because of her period.

Ask her doc if a FTA-ABS or TP-PA test was done.  Those are the confiming tests.

If one of those is positive, and she can't recall being treated ever, then I would want to be treated.

AJ
Avatar n tn
how about after pregnancy in two months and it traces the vdrl positive but tpha non reactive? how it goes??
Please start a thread dedicated just to your question.
Avatar n tn
hi... just a question, if you are VDRL reactive? does it mean that you are HIV + ?

i just got my results and it says that my VDRL is eractive, they are now conducting a VDRL and TPHA tests to counter check..

does this mean that Im HIV+?

thank you.
Those tests are for syphilis not HIV.
i'd a VDRL test and the result is non-reactive,so what does it mean?
non-reactive is negative

any further questions start a thread dedicated just to your question and it will be answered.
Avatar n tn
my vdrl non reactive.But my tpha reactive.I have no sexual relation with women.why?
i just want to ask.. i had RPR reactive andd TPHA Negative but, i have consulted already.Then after a 1 month i repeted again the same test its shows that RPR is Non reactive and TPHA non reactive..it is mean that is false positive when i have test in the first time.It is mean that i already clear for any infections?