chlamydia serology question?
Hi doctor,

I was with a guy mid august 07 (genital contact and unprotected oral sex). He informed me mid september that he tested positive for chlamydia. I had a clear vaginal swab one year previously.

unfortunatley i was travelling through asia at the time. I had been taking doxycycline 100mg for malaria since the start august so i doubled the dose for a week starting 20th sept 07. I got a blood test on 8th oct 07 for chlamydia as that was all the hospital could do.

I just got the results, IgG for chlamydia trachomatis was negative. They said they dont perform IgM.

Im just wondering does that mean i never had chlamydia or that i may have had it and the test was negative as i had taken the treatment 2 weeks before? how likely was i to get the infection if i had been taking prophyllactic doxycycline for a month previous to possible exposure?

i wont return home until christmas, should i try in another hospital to get a vaginal swab taken or can it wait?

thanking you in advance
Doxy is a strong antibiotic. Chlam is treated with Doxy or azinthro. If you had sex with a chlam infected person while on your LAST dose of doxy your chances are higher than if you had a couple more doses to take. My advice is trust symptoms over swab because of antibiotic use, if you have discharge or odor NO SEX and take more doxy and/or 1g azinthro.
thank you, still wondering about the negative IgG result, does that have any significance about previous infection? I am also still taking 100mg doxycycline od for malarial prophyllaxis and will be for the next 2 months, if i get any symptoms should i take azithromycin? its just not that easy being left wondering if i was infected or not? and also spent a hell of a lot of money on that bloodtest!! id appreciate any more information thanks
Im concerned about who ever your having sex with (that may have given it to you) giving chlam back to you once your 2 months on the doxy is up. From this point on use condoms for everything i would even be sceptical about him giving you oral. To you question, a neg result does NOT have any significance on past infection. And to reiterate on what I said in my firs responce you doxy use could have created a false neg. I would forget the past and concentrate on staying healthy from now on. GOOD LUCK