dry flaky skin on the shaft of my penis
I have this flaky skin on the shaft of my penis and get chronic athletes foot.
I recently got a call from a girl that I had slept with once- like 2 years ago- and she said she felt bad that she never told me she had herpes.

I have had this recurring flaky skin thing off and on since well before I ever met this girl, but now I'm a little concerned that I might have herpes.

I don't see any of the normal signs and was only with this person once. Is this something to be concerned about. Is flaky/ scaly skin a sign of herpes?

This discussion is related to flaking dry skin on penis--hsv? anything else?.
No, but its a sign of a fungal infection.

You can ask your doc for a type specific IgG herpes blood test if you want to know your herpes status.

Aj
I mastubate a lot and whenever I stop for a while, the sry flakiness seems to go away.  Could I just be irritating it even more when I do masturbate?  Does anyone think that if I just let it rest for a while it will go away.  I have never had this problem before and I have only had sex with two people and they were both virgins!
Have you ever used good lube to masturbate?  I'm not talking about soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc.  I am talking about something like KY or astroglide, etc.

AJ
I have had this too. It is because of over masturbation most likely i would say. I would ask if you have masturbated or had sex fairly often around the time when you first noticed this occurence. 4 years ago I was masturbating drunk at the end of a night and did not use lubrication. In the morning my corona was tender and I developed the same flaky skin symptoms and they remained for the next 2 years. I did not allow for proper healing time until it finally got on my nerves and my gf was bothered by it. I abstained from sex and masturbation for 2-3 weeks and it healed up just fine no more symptoms. I now have it again bc of another stupid masturbating incidence not using lubrication. I would recommend you take the time and money to invest in proper lubricant if this bothers you.
I have the same thing, but no sex. I've never had sex, and i've gone to a urologist and a dermatologist. The uro tells me it's vitiligo, but i know that it's not, and the Derma doesn't see it. Tells me i'm thinking too much or something.
I also recently got this problem and the last girl I slept with was over three weeks ago ... regret it cause it was unprotected ... I really hope it is just irritation.

Unless someone recommends other wise I plan to follow blahblahgobble's advise above and not have sex or masturbate for three weeks (will be hard to sleep) and hopefully it goes away.
Most lubricants are chemically based and can be bad long term especially in such a tender area.  My girlfriend and I use coconut oil (extra Virgin)(seriously no pun intended),  It is natural, lasts awhile and you only need a dab, not to mention its natural and tastes good too.  I am completely serious, you will never go back to over priced chemicals again.
It adds a bit of funk to sex and masturbation as well.  
Enjoy~