stdtestexpress.com & other websites
Hello everyone. I am curious about how legit stdtestexpress.com really is. There site seems to have competitors as well. Has anyone here ever used it?? I've done some info and although it seems legit, something seems a little fishy to me. It seems like they are a "middleman". I want to make sure that this isn't a scam. And I'd like to be assured that the results are reliable. I've been tested for HIV before (negative), but I think it's time to get tested for everything else and I'm not sure what route to take. If anyone as any information or thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
They are a middleman between you and a lab because people don't want to go to a Dr's office. My advice is skip it and go straight to a Dr.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm curious why you would skip them? Are you saying that they aren't reliable? Obviously seeing a doctor would be the better option, but it's not exactly an option for me at the moment. If any of the results were to come back positive, I would definitely see a doctor at that point. Thanks for your time.
I would skip them because it is cheaper and faster just going to a Dr.
Why can't you see a Dr?
Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm sure I could see a doctor, although I don't have my own doctor at the moment. I'm also currently unemployed, although I do have insurance. I'm not sure if insurance covers std testing or not.

But I wasn't under the impression that it would be cheaper and quicker to see a doctor. I just figured seeing a doctor would be more professional. If I did use one of those internet testings, I could go in there to today and get the results within 3 days. I personally just want to get tested for gonnorrhea and chlamydia at this point, which would be $150.
Call your INS company, they should cover it and you would only have a copay. A lot less then $150 and if you are unemployed then huge savings between a copay of maybe $25 and $150.

Most online places will have you take the sample and then send it off or drop it off. A lot of labs will do batch testing which means longer wait times, but it is cheaper for them.
Thanks for the reply.

So these internet testings are reliable? That was my main concern with them.

I will call my insurance company and see what they say. I agree there is a huge difference between the co-pay and $150. But I'm also nervous about the insurance going up if one of the tests were positive.

I was under the impression that it would take a doctor 2 weeks or so to get the results back. Although getting the results back as quickly as possible isn't my #1 priority. I'm also nervous about privacy. I have no idea what the doctor may do with my results.

Thanks again!
yes they are reliable :)  They use mostly quest labs and labcorp labs throughout the US. they use the same labs for your testing that your regular provider would send your blood to if it was drawn in their clinic.  

so when is it appropriate to use an online testing service? when you have no symptoms and are just following up after an encounter to make sure that you are std negative or just getting full testing to show a new partner. just make sure that you wait at least 3 months after you last had sex to have the testing done. when you purchase a full std panel, the hiv , herpes and hepatitis testing that comes with it isn't accurate until the 3 month post encounter mark.

most of these sites are not associated with a provider who will prescribe proper treatment if you are infected with something. so say for instance you test + for hsv2 on your testing. you will then have to go to your regular provider to discuss treatments - the online testing site doesn't do that part for you. make sense?

grace
will your insurance go up if you get a + std result? thanks to obamacare, it shouldn't from this point forward!! ( unless that part starts next year. I can never keep it all straight! )
Obamacare sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the reply. That seems helpful. I currently don't have any symptoms that I'm aware of. I haven't been sexually active in quite awhile. I suppose I'm getting tested for those earlier years when I was careless.
I visited a Planned Parenthood 4 weeks ago and testing for Gonerrhea and Chlamydia was $25 plus $65 for the visit. They don't accept insurance. So about $90 total.
certainly getting the whole shebang then now would be appropriate and using an online testing center is also appropriate :)