syphilis reinfection question
Dear Doctors,

13 years ago I found out I had Syphilis.  I was treated by my doctor with penicillin and was told I was cured.

Several months ago I had sex with an escort.  I used a condom for sex but not for oral.  I have not had any symptoms, No rash or sores but I am still incredibly worried I contracted an STD.

I went to a testing lab and had the full STD screening.  Results for STD's were negative except for syphilis.
These are my results:

RPR (DX) W/REFL TITER AND IG
CONFIRMATORY TESTING REACTIVE 1:2

FTA-ABS REACTIVE

I don't know if I caught syphilis again or if I am just always going to test this way.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,

G

Regards,
You might always test that way because of the antibodies. That low tier number should indicate a past infection.
I forgot to mention that I got tested about a year and a half ago and fpr was non-reactive.

I asked this question a few days ago and was told it is probably reactive because of my previously treated infection.  I have also read that the rpr's can fluctuate.

My questions are:

1 If I did get reinfected 3-4 months ago should my rpr be higher?

2 if I get retested again a week later is it possible it will be nonreactive again if I am not infected?

3 Does the test itself vary slightly or is it my body that changes the results?

4 how long should I wait to get tested again to be sure I am not reinfected?

5 if i retest and rpr is lower or non-reactive will that prove I am not reinfected?

I know I can get treated just in case but I would really like to know if I am reinfected.

I am worried sick that I caught it again and would feel so much better if I had a definitive answer.
1. Yes
2. ?
3. Not understanding question
4. 6 weeks from exposure
5. It should

Also talk to your Dr