STDs Expert Forum
2G oral zithromax

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

2G oral zithromax

Will taking 2G of zithromax in a single oral dose cure gonorrhea AND chlamydia?

Is taking 2G at risk for side effects? If so, what kinds?
Welcome to the forum.

Azithromycin in a single dose of 2 g is one of the back-up recommendations for gonorrhea treatment, if the treatments of choice (e.g. ceftriaxone, cefixime) are not available or if the infected person may be allergic to them.  It is very reliable and has the advantage of also being effective against chlamydia -- which actually requires only a 1 g dose.

Except for rare allergic reactions, the only side effects of azithromycin are related to gastrointestinal intolerance.  Some people get upper abdominal pain or nausea within an hour.  Vomiting is uncommon, but if it happens very quickly (within 10-15 min) and the drug comes back up, of course treatment may not be effective.  In addition, a fair number of treated persons get cramps and diarrhea the next day.  All these problems are pretty much harmless, just uncomfortable for a little while.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Will it cure gonorrhea though?
Yes.  I already said that.
Sorry I misread! Thanks Doc!!
Oh I took 8 250mg -- will this do the same as 4 500mg?
Of course.  The important thing is the total dose.
Hey doc,

I took the 2g of zithromax and so far seems fine. The only thing I feel now is itchy at the tip of my penis. Not swollen and urinating doesn't hurt as well as the urine doesn't smell bad.

Could this be a yeast infection because of the antibiotics? Any other ideas?
It takes several days for symptoms to clear up.  Have you been diagnosing and treating yourself?  Mistake.  I can't help as much.  And not knowing what you have, if anything, also makes it harder -- and I will not try to guess at your diagnosis.  See a health professional and report what s/he says; until then I wont' have any other comments or advice.