STDs Expert Forum
3 small spots on butt cheek

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

3 small spots on butt cheek

Thank you for taking my question.  I had unprotected sex one week ago.  two nights ago i noticed a very small spot on my right butt cheek, felt almost like a scab.  I picked at it a bit and the next morning there were two other small spots on either side.  I know it is really hard (or impossible) to tell from an online description, but does a herpes outbreak look like this?  They are on the outside of my butt cheek, and are slightly sensitive when i push on them, but aren't raised above the skin. They are reddish in color.  The area is a a tiny bit sore as well.
This could be any of all the many things that could cause red spots or irritation anywhere on the body, like acne, folliculitis, etc, etc.  The only conceivable STD is genital herpes, which can occur on the buttocks--but initial genital herpes infections almost always involve the genitals, not the buttocks or other nearby areas.  And if you had recurrent herpes, acquired sometime in the past, you would not have lesions on both cheeks; recurrent herpes is always limited to one side of the body.

Therefore, these spots are not an STD and have nothing to do with your sexual encounter a week ago.  Of course see a health care provider if you remain concerned.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
Also, I don't think i've had any other symptoms.  I guess, my real questin is, is the buttocks a likely place for a herpes outbreak when I had heterosexual sex?  I am a 25 yr old male.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, all three spots are next to each other on the right buttocks, doesn't sound like this will change your response?
Sorry, I misinterpreted "two other small spots on either side" as meaning you had lesions on both cheeks.  But it doesn't change my opinion that herpes is unlikely.

But if you do have herpes, it is a recurrent outbreak and unrelated to your recent sexual encounter.  Recurrent herpes episodes generally occur in the same spot each time; so see a provider promtly (within 1-2 days) if similar lesions occur in the future.  But still, herpes is a lot less likely than other possible causes.
Your new question should have been posted as a follow-up here.  Only a limited number of new questions is possible and unnecessary ones block others with new problems.

I told you above you don't have herpes and to see a provider if you were concerned.  You did that and he confirmed you don't have herpes.  So your new questions are irrelevant.  And no, neck glands cannot swell as a result of a genital HSV infection.  I already answered your question about the location of initial herpes lesions.

You don't say what blood test was done so I can't help there.  You are now under a provider's care for this issue.  This site is not a substitute for care by your personal provider, so that's the person to ask any further questions.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Butt Cheek Breakouts - Herpes was started.