STDs Expert Forum
A concern from a worrier

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

A concern from a worrier

I’ m a male in my early thirties and have some red spots on my thighs that vary in size but are roughly equivalent to pimples, though generally a bit smaller. They are scattered about and go as low as a bit below the knee. In the past, I have also noticed a couple on my calves.  I feel like I’ve noticed them a bit more than usual recently. I showed them to a doctor and he was quick to say it was folliculitis. I’ve gotten red spots on my thighs since before I was sexually active.  The spots don’t seem to be particularly itchy unto themselves, but I feel like lately I have been noticing some more itchiness in my thighs in general. Another thing that I’ve noticed occasionally on a more or less daily basis for several years is a wave of tingling in the testicles that sometimes also includes the right buttock. I feel like I’ve been noticing this a bit more lately.

I have to say that I have had issues with OCD, being someone that is a “checker,” particularly in regard to STI worries. A month or so ago, I stopped taking my medication for OCD. I figure that I can chalk up these things that I’ve been noticing to that, but I guess I just want to know if this sounds like an STI issue?
Since I last got tested, I’ve had intercourse with two women and received oral from two others. I last had sex about two weeks ago with a woman that I'd been dating for a couple months. When I got tested before these encounters, I was clean aside from a positive result for HSV-1.

Anyway, does it sound like the things I’ve been noticing are any reason for concern? Or does it sound more like I’m just paying too much attention again?  

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help.

Your description is not at all suggestive of any STD.  You're apparently most worried about herpes -- but genital herpes (or HSV-2 infection) simply does not behave like the lesions you describe, and it doesn't sound like you have been at significant risk for herpes or other STDs.  My guess is you have been experiencing garden-variety pimples or folliculitis, nothing more.  As you say yourself, I indeed suspect you are "just paying too much attention again".  I recommend any retesting for HSV, or any other STD testin, on account of this problem.

I hope these comments have been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thanks. I'm guessing you meant to say you DON'T recommend any retesting?
Correct -- sorry for the dropped word!
Ha ha! No worries. One other thing---it doesn't make a difference that when the red spots show up they have what looks like a tiny whitehead, does it?
Nope.  It actually increases my suspicion of pimples or folliculitis.
Thank you kindly. I appreciate the help! Take care!