STDs Expert Forum
ANA positive a sign of HIV/STD

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

ANA positive a sign of HIV/STD

Male 31 smoker - diagnose with MS. 5 years with no episode with out med.

I had a low risk encounter with brief oral sex to a stripper. I have been paranoid since and some of my symptoms might be due to anxiety. Day 1, I had a tingling sensation urinating and it stop after that. I have been feeling a tingling sensation on and off since. Day 5, 30 mins before I work up I felt sweat around my neck which last for 2 days. My vision started getting blurred. Day 10, started feeling neck pain. That stopped the next day, then came abdominal pain. The day after that, I had back pain (inside my rib on the left). It was so painful. It was gone the next day when I went to see my Doc for a blood work on the 14th day. I try to treat my anxiety with leisure activity and symptoms go away. The Stripper said she was clean but you know how that goes.

I still have acute vision problem on an off, purple spot on my left tip tongue and brown spot on my upper lip. Also have mild joint/muscle pain in hands and shoulder.

HIV 1/2 (WB) - neg
ANA/Pos Speckled 1:40

1)Is ANA positive a sign of HIV? Can it be a sign of Bacterial or Viral infection?
2)If my Antibodies are firing up, should the HIV test found traces of it?
3)Is it common to have ANA/POS with HIV/NEG and then test HIV positive later on? Should I get another HIV test at 5 weeks? When should I go again?
4)When blood work is review, ANA/POS have any similarity to any type of STD?
5)What are the possible STD symptoms do I exhibit?
Your risk was zero, for practical purposes, from the exposure you describe.  Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of HIV or any other STD.

1) To my knowledge the ANA test does not interact in any way with HIV testing.  Postive ANA can be associated with false positive results on some syphilis tests.

2) No.

3) No.  You didn't need HIV testing at all and certainly don't need a repeat test.

4) No.

5) You describe no symptoms that suggest any STD.

Contineu to follow up with your provider if your symptoms persist or you otherwise remain concerned.  But put STD/HIV out of your mind.  Whatever is going on has absolutely nothing to do with your strip club adventure, except that anxiety over the event might be causing most or all of your symptoms.

HHH, MD
Thanks for the info. I couldn find any of that information online. I also didn
Actually, HIV probably cannot be "contracted this way", assuming "brief oral sex to a stripper" means you performed oral on her.  It probably never happens; certainly no such case has ever been proved.  And probably few strippers have HIV anyway.  For more information, use this forum's search link to look for "HIV transmission risk", "oral sex", and "cunnilingus".  (And the risk is almost equally low if she performed oral on you.)  You didn't need HIV testing except for anxiety relief, certainly not because there was realistic risk.
That
A related discussion, ana psitive and hiv was started.