STDs Community
Abnormal PAP smear even with taking Gardasil ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I'm 21 years old and I have been getting a yearly PAP smear exam since I was 18.  I have never taken birth control pills and have had oral sex since 18, but (vaginal) sex for the first time (with a condom) a couple months back.  My OBGYN had just recently told me last week that I had an abnormal pap smear.  This is the first time my test was ever abnormal.  She had also mentioned that even though I tested negative for HPV, an abnormal PAP smear usually leads to HPV and to come in for a colposcopy for further testing.  She also said that this was very common and I shouldn't worry.  I find this very hard to believe since I had taken all three shots of Gardasil around the age of 12, where I've read that it becomes stronger as you grow older when taken at a young age.

I won't be seeing her until next week but I am very concerned.  I was wondering if anyone could help me better understand the situation and what to expect? Thanks.
really no reason at this point for the colposcopy. it would be more appropriate to just repeat your pap in 3-6 months , especially since you tested negative for hpv.

the gardasil shots only cover 2 of the types of hpv that can cause cervical cell changes out of the about a dozen that do so.  that is why you still need regular pap tests but since you tested negative for hpv, no reason to think this means cervical cancer or anything.  

grace
Unfortunately, the rates of abnormal pap smears, cervical dysplasia and cervical cancer is increasing significantly in the post-HPV vaccination population - and in an age group of girls who should not be having these abnormal pathologies.  Please read the article Janny Stokvis and I just published on the Society for Menstrual Cycle Research blog titled:

When Less Becomes More: Abnormal Pap Smears, Cervical Dysplasia and Cervical Cancer Spike Post-HPV Vaccination - http://menstruationresearch.org/2012/06/26/when-one-less-becomes-one-more/
I'm not sure why you posted this in this posters post since she tested negative for hpv?

perhaps you should make a journal post about this instead?

and yes , there has been discussion about other types of hpv becoming more prevalent post gardasil  since the beginning.  It's openly discussed at the CDC std conferences every 2 years and so far, it's not a significant issue at all.  we don't come here to scare people, we come to support and educate :)

grace
Agreed (in response to Ibotha).  You should read a little bit more carefully instead of advertising your article in various posts : /  

Anyway, I appreciate your responses gracefromHHP and just found out recently that the colposcopy turned out normal :)  Guess it was just abnormal cells that healed over time or were cured during the exam.
congrats!!