STDs Community
After penicillin shot, how long before syphilis is cured?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Hello there,
I was diagnosed with syphilis 12 days ago, and right away was given a penicilin shot as a cure. My doctor said that the symptom (a chancre on my penis) would disappear in about a week. It's been 12 days, and so I'm a bit concerned. The sore has decreased to about 1/2 its original size (and my lymph nodes have become less swollen——although they still are slightly swollen.)

My questions:
1)Should I be worried that it's been 12 days and I haven't been completely cured?
2)How long should I wait before making a second appointment to see my doctor?
3)My doctor didn't say anything about follow-up tests, to make sure I've been cured. I've done some research and found out that some doctors recommend getting re-tested in 6 months. Should I do any follow-up testing to make sure I'm completely cured?

Thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate this forum.
Zack
Why not just call him/her up to ask?
And besides, you should be getting re-tested just to MAKE SURE the syphilis is indeed out of your system. Prolonged Syphilis, left untreated can be quite serious, just so you know.  In today's world, syphilis is easily cured with a basic antibiotic, that which the MD gave to you. It is in the best interest of your health to get tested again in a couple of weeks to see that the syphilis is cleared up (through a blood test).

Good Luck.

B.
Avatar n tn
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply.
I definitely will see my doctor this week. But it's Saturday night, and I can't sleep, I'm so worried.
Basically, I was just wondering if anyone had any statistics, something like, "On average, after the penicillin shot, the sores should completely disappear anywhere from 1 week to 2 weeks (??)"
Something like that would help me sleep better until Monday.
I basically have been searching the web for 2 hours, just to find any answer to my question. (CDC website, NIH, everything.) and I can't find it anywhere.

Basically, "On average, how long does it take for the sore to disappear after the penicilin shot."

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows a rough estimate.
Off to try to sleep.
Thanks.
Zack

If you were not in the tertiary stage of syphilis, the simple shot of penicillin that the MD gave to you should clear your system in 10-14 days.  Tertiary stage usually requires 28 day antibiotic.  Since syphilis is a bacterial infection, your should be considered "lucky", and that you did not acquire a viral infection such as HSV from your incident.  Please remember to use condoms for sex ALL the time.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Just follow up with your medical care.

B.
http://www.dsc-sexualhealth.com.sg/tpl/qna_syphillis.php

Here you go Zach. Its legit. copy-cut-paste the link to your browser.
Avatar n tn
A woman I did not really know all that well gave me oral sex about 14 days ago..   She did lick my anus as well ( sorry for details but... ) 3 days after she did this; ( my penis is fine ); but my anus has a tiny (broken blood vessel ) is what it looks like; No bump or anything big; just an irritation..  But I can feel it and it does look red...   Is this syphilis?  It is itchy and red is all I can describe... Is it is syphilis why didn't I get anything on my penis??  Also; I went to the doctor 3 days ago ( i didn't mention anything ) for a sore throat and he gave me 500mg of amoxil for 10 days 3 times per day... Could this do anything to syphilis?  Please help..
Avatar n tn
how many years syphilis dessapear doc.im positive almost 8years.
this is a very old post. please start your own post -t hanks!
Three weeks ago I found out I have syphilis and they don't know what stage I'm in cause I've had no symptoms no sores nothing but my blood test said I was at tier 4 is the shots gonna work I'm on my way now for my last treatment they gave me treatment times three just to be sure and how long does the shot stay in your system
please start your own post - thanks!
I was diagnoise with syphilis almost 5yrs ago. I was treated and everything. Since then I have taken testes for stds and was clear. Just recently, I went to donate blood and was told tht I tested positive for the diease. Now I do remeber when this happen, tht the dr. told me tht the syphills will be dormate in my system
but in reminstion. Im going to the dr to get tested. But my question is should I b worry? My,partner has been tested for alll stds.and was clear. If anybody can help plz do. No more drama plz!
please start a thread dedicated to your question
So what do u think? Should I be worry? Just did more research and found tht the antibotics can stay in ur stytems for 7yrs
Hi...a lady i didn't was infected with this disease gave me a blow job and also kissed me passionately..should i be worried that i have the disease ....
After treatment,

will Syphilis be gone for ever, or I will have any remains of it in my system???

The nurse told me this morning, that my Syphilis was treated but in any blood test for STD will continue showing, you must tell the MD that you have been treated. Don't know how long it takes to really be gone can be up to 20 years.

I was diagnosed positive my dr insists that I should get 2nd round of injections 2 weeks later he said do not take any chance left untreated is fatal and highly contagious.