STDs Community
Allergic Reaction to Bactrim?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Allergic Reaction to Bactrim?

My doctor put me on Bactrim for a sinus infection. I have had a slight reaction to it in the past. A couple hours after taking it I started getting a really bad itch on my penis. The skin under the helmet also swelled way up and it hurts a bit. I've taken Bactrim about 5 days now and the skin directly under the lip of the helmet has been peeling and is really sore. My doc says I'm not alleric to Bactrim and this is a coincidence but I'm not sure. Could this be a reaction to the Bactrim? I have some bactroban ointment that I've been putting on it but things have not been getting better. I'm going to try get get a second opinion and stop taking the bactrim.
Bactroban is actually mupirocin not an ointment of Bactrim. So it is a different antibiotic. If you were allergic to Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprin) I would think you would react to it all over your body if it is a pill form. A lot of people are allergic to the sulfa drug in the Bacterim. Did you have a pill or ointment?  The ointment is called Bactroban (Mupirocin). So if you took the bactrim pill for your sinus infection you usually break out all over or at least on the chest. Perhaps you are allergic to the bactroban (mupirocin) ointmnet. Since you applied it locally to the penis area. Personally, I am allergic to the Bactroban (mupirocin) but not the bactrim. Let  me know if you have any more quesitons.
would you only have symptoms on your penis if this was an allergic reaction to bactrim? no you would not.  

this sounds more like a fungal infection than it does a drug reaction. did your provider suggest anything like that as a cause when you were seen?

we don't recommend routine use of topical antibiotics on the sensitive genital skin. I'd stop the bactroban at this point in case it's making it worse.

grace
Thanks. I'll stop the bactroban and talk to my doctor. He originally said it was probably a bacterial infection and prescribed the bactroban.