Aa
A
A
Close
Amoxicillin & Chlamydia
Hi,

I am in outback Australia and quite a way from a doctor. I believe I have a Chlamydia infection (I am a 27 yo male) from having sex with someone about 2 weeks ago before I left the city. I have all the symptoms (itchy, light burning sensation while urinating, discharge etc) and I have no history of UTI's and no reason to think I would have contracted one.

Anyway, to the question, the only antibiotic I am carrying is Amoxicillin 500mg tabs, and have enough for 11 days of treatment at 500mg tid (34 500mg tabs). Is this likely to cure a Chlamydia infection? From reading studies online, I see that penicillin’s are not effective against Chlamydia, but equally Amoxicillin is sometimes prescribed in pregnant women. Am I wasting my time taking it, and should I call the trip short (I plan on returning to the city in 6 weeks) or is the Amoxicillin likely to clean the infection up? If so, is there any specific follow up treatment I should pursue when I get back to the city? I almost brought doxycycline but, hey no chance of malaria in the outback :S

Thanks for your time!
Cancel
1 Answers
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I realise I contradict myself saying there is no reason to think this could be a UTI, but either way - assuming worst case scenario of chlamydia, what chance does Amoxicillin have?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs Community Resources
Top STDs Answerers
Blank
feelingundone