Amoxicillin & Chlamydia

I am in outback Australia and quite a way from a doctor. I believe I have a Chlamydia infection (I am a 27 yo male) from having sex with someone about 2 weeks ago before I left the city. I have all the symptoms (itchy, light burning sensation while urinating, discharge etc) and I have no history of UTI's and no reason to think I would have contracted one.

Anyway, to the question, the only antibiotic I am carrying is Amoxicillin 500mg tabs, and have enough for 11 days of treatment at 500mg tid (34 500mg tabs). Is this likely to cure a Chlamydia infection? From reading studies online, I see that penicillin’s are not effective against Chlamydia, but equally Amoxicillin is sometimes prescribed in pregnant women. Am I wasting my time taking it, and should I call the trip short (I plan on returning to the city in 6 weeks) or is the Amoxicillin likely to clean the infection up? If so, is there any specific follow up treatment I should pursue when I get back to the city? I almost brought doxycycline but, hey no chance of malaria in the outback :S

Thanks for your time!
I realise I contradict myself saying there is no reason to think this could be a UTI, but either way - assuming worst case scenario of chlamydia, what chance does Amoxicillin have?