STDs Expert Forum
Analyzing my issue

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Analyzing my issue

Here goes.  Nov 13 midnight drunken stupor resulted in a protected vaginal sex with escort/hooker in Canada, there was a condom change during this act.  The first condom did not break but was getting quite a lot of time on it.  Nov 17 morning, itch feeling near urethra opening.  No real burning sensation or discharge, felt better to urinate than not.  NOV 22 doc did chlamydia and gonorrhea urine test, NEGATIVE.  NOV 30 unprotected sex with GF.  Itch sensations almost gone but urination frequency began to increase.  DEC 4 urologist performed test again, results negative.  prescribed suprax and zithro in STD dose.  DEC 7-20 urination frequency very constant.  felt like pee was about to just fall out.  DEC 20 urologist put me on 500mg Cipro 2x day for 4 weeks, possible Prostatitis.  DEC 23 urinary frequency near normal.  Resumed sex but ejaculations were uncomfortable.  DEC 29 itch feeling came back.  Jan 3 itch feeling subsiding but urinary frequency increasing.  NO discharge.

each urine sample was 5 hrs between urination and the Urologist sample was 5 hrs post first void.  Urologist said there was no bacteria in my urine, specifically chlamydia and gonorrhea, there was a tiny amount of bacteria that he referred to as Floral.

Questions.  
LabCorp recommends 20-30 ml for STI urine test.  Half a container of the typical urine cup is 60 ml.  If submitting 60 ml what is the risk of a false negative due to a dilluted specimen.

If results are truly negative what other STI could cause these issues?  

Would a single act of unprotected intercourse with GF put her at risk for an STI, i know the answer is yes but what is the likely hood of infecting her?

Could I have transferred fluids/bacteria while changing condoms?

Out of fear I had an HIV antigen/anitbody test at 30 days and doc ran a slew of other test.  All negative.

Comments and answers greatly appreciated.

Welcome to our Forum. I'll be please to comment.  Like your urologist, while I would have been concerned about nongonococcal urethritis to start with, when you did not respond and when your tests were negative, like him I would have considered prostatitis.  The ciprofloxacin your received and the partial response you experienced are all compatible with prostatitis which is almost never an STI but can be quite challenging to deal with. I would suggest that you work with your urologist to a move forward.  It sounds like he is doing much of what I would be doing if I saw you in my clinic.  

With regard to your specific questions:
No, dilution does not seem to negatively affect test performance.

Please see above.  

I doubt this is an STI and if this is prostatitis, your GF is not at risk.

Most unlikely.  I would not be at all worried about this.

No surprise to me.   Good news.  .

I hope my comments are  helpful to you. EWH
Thanks for your input.

I have a bit of redness around my urethra opening that went away with the suprax/zithro meds that has reappeared with the rest of the symptoms. Any ideas?

I also worry about the timing. 4-5 days and symptoms appeared after risky behavior.  Then i completed the STD meds and seemed better then unprotected sex with GF and 4-5 days later the same symptoms appeared again.  I am an engineer and coincidences don't sit well with me.

I plan to finish the Cipro and contact my Urologist at that time if symptoms don't subside.  I trust i dont have Gon/Chlamydia after 2 negative test and your comments.
The sort of redness you describe is often perceptual and/or related to over sealous self-examination.  No change in my assessments or advice.  I doubt that this was an STI and suspect the timing was more a coincidence than anything else.  EWH