STDs Community
Anonymous STD Test

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Anonymous STD Test

I went to the Planned Parenthood clinic in my city to get an STD test but panicked and backed out when I discovered I could not get it done anonymously. I'm looking to get the test done for my own peace of mind and I don't want this test on my medical record because I am married and have relatives who access medical databases.

Planned Parenthood did not ask for an ID so I suppose I could have made up a name but I'm not sure if that would have been a problem later on in the process.

So can anyone recommend a way to get an anonymous STD test? Would lying about my identity to Planned Parenthood have worked? I could go to a different location and try again I suppose.

Thank you.  This forum is a wonderful resource.
I know this won't help much, but even those people who access medical records for their jobs are heavily scrutinized to make sure they are only accessing those records that are necessary, and not looking up family, friends, etc.

And I don't see how they could get into Planned Parenthood's records if you didn't submit the claim to insurance, ya know?

You could give a false name - that happens all the time.  Just remember the info you give them.  I've had more people forget the fake info, and we couldn't give them their results because they couldn't remember the fake name, birthday, etc.

Aj
Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking with the technician at PP she said that because they are government subsidized they have to submit the record to the government. Mostly for statistics but the record would have my name on it. So I balked.

I think I'm going to go to another office today and give them a fake name and address. I want to get past this before I kill myself with anxiety.

Thanks for tip about remembering the fake info. I can imagine that would be a problem!
Interesting.

All the clinics I've worked at were government funded, and we only had to report positive tests for certain infections to the state.  We had to send them numbers of tests, patients, etc., but we didn't send them names.

Aj
So I went to another Planned Parenthood site which offered "express" services for an STD test. They could only do urinalysis at this site which was a test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.

Both tests were negative!

I am certainly relieved however my symptom is still there to some degree, but much less than before.

But I have a question if you or anyone else can answer:

Would NGU be detected under a standard Chlamydia test?

I've never really heard of NGU until recently and when I was in consultation before the test I was nervous and forgot to ask about it. From what I read it is a form of Chlamydia so I would think (hope) it would be tested.  

For what it's worth the Nurse Practitioner I met with did not think I had an an STD but maybe fungal in nature.

To add context from my previous post my symptoms are mild burning sensation on the skin of the penis which comes and goes and some minor whites blotches. I'm also urinating much more frequently.  

Thanks for any input.
The source was not correct. NGU stands for NonGonococcal Urethritis. That means "Any infection of the urethra that is not caused by Gonorrhea". Many different bacteria or viruses can infect the urethra. It can be caused by, for example:

- adenovirus - which is typically associated with respiratory infections, but can infect the urethra during sex. It is NOT an STD.
- herpes
- chlamydia
- etc.

Your concern is STDs, not NGU! What would you tell your wife, "I am sorry to tell you this honey, but I have Adenovirus in my penis"? What is she going to say "Thats terrible dear. No more oral sex when I have a cold."

If you do not have G or C, the other STDs to test for are Syphilis, HIV, and Herpes. You can get tested for all via blood test. If you do not like dealing with PP, you can go to www.healthcheckusa.com. You can give them whatever name you wish and pay with a gift-card that was purchased with cash.
Thank you for that information. I wish I had known about Healthcheckuse before.

Regarding NGU, many sites list NGU as a separate STD but I have never seen a separate STD test for NGU which confused me. And Wikipedia says this:

"The NGU is caused by chlamydia trachomatis."

So would it be proper to say you can't have NGU without having Chlamydia first?
No, that's not proper at all.

And Wiki is wrong.  

Here is a much better description of it - http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_ngu.cfm

You can have NGU because of chlamydia, but you can also have NGU, and not have chlamydia.  They are not mutually exclusive or inclusive.

Aj
OK, got it.

Thanks.