STDs Expert Forum
Antibiotic Resistance of Ureaplasma Urealyticum

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

We are seeking your expertise on this and recommendations for a top rank doctor who is willing to treat UU and antibiotic resistance for my family member who desperately need help.
She has been treated for Ureaplasma Urealyticum (UU) for 5 years on and off.  Her symptoms include a lot of discharge, white, thick, smelling, vaginal red, itch often. She was originally treated for yeast infection in 2005 for an about year but symptoms persisted, so she was finally tested UU positive and then was given different drugs each time such as Minocycline, Cefuroxi me, Moxifloxacin, and Azithromycin. Each time antibiotic was effective. Her boyfriend was also given antibiotics. She was also tested for Chlamydia and other STDs, all negative.  In 2010, she developed antibiotic resistance. At that time, she split with her boyfriend. In Feb 2011, she started to have PID and intense abdominal pain, and had multiple endometrium polypus. She had surgical removal of endometrium polypus in March, 2011, but the same symptoms persisted. She saw a doctor at Johns Hopkins infectious disease, they said they wouldn’t test nor treat her for UU as it is common in adults, but thought she had yeast infection and gave her Rx for Fluconazole. she took the Fluconazole but the symptoms were still there. She also tested for Chlamydia and Trich at Johns Hopkins, all negative.
To emphasis, she has done many times of UU by culture and PCR test, the first and second time tests showed UU culture positive, after twice antibiotic treatment, later UU culture and PCR test all showed negative since 2007, but she always has had the same symptoms. Thank you very much for your help.
Welcome to the Forum.  I am sorry but we do not recommend specific health care providers on this site.  To do so would be beyond the goal of this Forum. I will provide some information on Uu infections however.

The role of Uu as the cause of chronic infections in humans is the subject of much debate.  it appears that Uu infection is acquired in many and perhaps most people around the time they begin having sexual intercourse.  Once they have it, the organism seems to colonize most people rather than cause disease and symptoms and treatment tends to reduce or even eliminate the organisms for a while but then the organism typically recurs.  In some persons with symptoms, increased amount of Uu (as opposed to simply its presence) tend to also be associated with symptoms which sometimes improve with treatment.  Your sister’s experience with treatment is typical- treatment eliminates the organism but then it comes back.  This does not mean it is causing symptoms or disease.   In persons with severe deficits in immunity, Uu can cause arthritis and other symptoms and the infection can be life threatening.  How serious the infection is in normal persons is less clear and as I said, there is debate as whether or not is actually causes disease.  

My advice is to seek a doctor who you feel will be honest with you, even if you do not like what they are saying and to listen carefully to their explanation (if they will not provide and explanation, I suspect they won't be much help).  It may or may not be that your sister's problems are due to Uu (again, that the organism is present DOES NOT prove it is causing her problems). Whatever happens, I suspect addressing this will  have to involve good communications and probably a bit of trial and error. The doctors at Johns Hopkins are very good. Do they know that your sister did not get better with their suggestions/therapy?

I hope this helps. EWH