STDs Community
Any Idea on what this could be???

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Any Idea on what this could be???

On March 12th I had unprotected oral and vaginal sex with a girl I met at the bar.  I have since been living a nightmare trying to figure out what is wrong with me.  I'll try to recall my symptoms leading up to today and the timeline the best I can.

36hrs after I started to notice a scrathy throat.  I also had tested for chlamydia and Gohnreah at day 6, both negative. For the next 14 days my tonsils were swollen, very very mild sore throat, fatigue, dry mouth, white and red spots on the roof of my mouth, and general not feeling well.   I visited the Doctor for my throat at day 10 and was told that the cause was prob viral and to wait another 4 days and I should start feeling better.  

Over weeks 2 through 4 I experienced body aches, muscle pains in the legs, sore knees, lower back pain, and a very strange sensation like needles being poked in all my nerve endings throughout my body, thrush on back of tongue and cheeks that lasted a couple days, and a headache.  By week three most of my initial symptoms had passed except the white and red spots and dry mouth.  My throat felt much better but still not 100% right.  Around week 4 I started to notice and odd light red/pink rash that started on my lower arms and tops of hands, I also had slight abdominal pain that was located in the upper center of my stomach, enlarged lymph nodes in my arm pits, and a very stiff/sore neck.  The stomach pains ended around week 5, the lymph nodes swelling seems to have reduced around week 6.  I also took a home HIV test at week 4 which came back negative.  

between week 5 and 6 I started to get the feeling like pins inside the head of my penis along with a red, dry looking area on the shaft of my penis just below the head, about a 1 inch by 1 inch patch.  At week 7 I took another home HIV test and that also came back negative.  I also started to experience itching all over my body (scalp, arms, legs) and noticed that the light pink rash on my arms was now also on my legs.  I also started to apply lotramine to the red area on my penis and after a couple days seems to have helped but has not cured it.  As of today I have yet to have any noticable lesions on my penis or on my mouth (not sure about in my mouth).  The red and white spots on the roof of my mouth are still there along with the feeling that I have had since day 1, that something is in my throat (not painfull, just scratchy)

Is the red dry spot on my penis herpes?  Are the symptoms i'm experience pointing to anything I should tell the doctor to specificlly test for?  Could the rash on my arms be from syphilis?  Should I still be worried it might be HIV?  I guess I'm just a little lost emotionally and overwhelmed by symptoms right now.  Any insight and direction would be appreciated.
odds are this isn't std related but get an oral swab for gonorrhea and chlamydia just to err on the side of caution if you performed oral on this partner. did they do a strep swab of your throat at all?

you've tested multiple times for hiv - time to put that to rest now!

grace
Thanks for taking the time to help Grace.

They did a swab for strep when I visited the doc for my throat.  It came back negative.  They thought it was viral pharyngitis and could do nothing for me.  I'm assuming that if this were herpes in my throat it would be painful?
Your not going to get herpes in your throat
sorry for taking so long to write back.  I had a full std screen done and results were negative for any std but they did not test for herpes since I had no lesions and the rash that was on my penis had disappeared.  They said it didn't sound like herpes either though.

Now just this week the rash is back!  So i'm a little nervous and have a couple questions.  BTW, you guys are great.   There is so much conflicting information on the web and you guys really seem to know your stuff.  You are very appreciated. :)

I know herpes usually has blisters/sores but is it possible that this rash is herpes?

Would a Herpes rash get better with lotrimin?

And the mild sore throat that I have is still here after 3 months.  Some days are better then others but it really feels like I have a lesion or ulcer in the back of my throat.  It really hurts in a specific spot when I eat spicy foods or drink something acidic.  Is it possible that a gonorrhea or chlamydia infection of the throat can last 3+ months and cause ulcers?
you can seek out a herpes igg blood test to see what your status is any time after 3 months post encounter.

herpes rashes usually go away on their own whether you treat them or not.

continue to follow up with an ENT specialist if you are still having throat issues.

Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers