STDs Expert Forum
Any risk for HIV transmission using shared razors
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Any risk for HIV transmission using shared razors

Hi Doctor,

I have been using a shared razor which has also been used by my room mate. I do not know of the HIV status of my room mate. I do occassionally cut myselg when using the shared razor.

Is there any possibility of HIV transmission by using shared razors?

Would the risks be zero in this case for practical purposes or would the risks be high?

Thanks.

Andrew
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome.  Unfortunately, this is the STD forum -- as the notice at the top says, it is "intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS", which are welcome on the HIV Prevention and Safe Sex forum.

Sharing razors is one of those supposed HIV transmission risks that have rarely if ever come true.  Although theoretically it could occur, to my knowledge there are no reports of HIV transmission via shared razors.  And unless your roommate is at high risk (gay man, injection drug user, etc), it is of course unlikely he is infected.  That said, I recommend you not share razors.  Given your apparently inflated fears of HIV (based on both this question and the one not long ago on the HIV international forum), why put yourself through the anxiety?  It seems no big deal, and not a lot of money, to invest in your own razor.

Bottom line:  no risk, no need for HIV testing.

Because it's the wrong forum, there won't be any follow-up comments or discussion.  But don't worry about it.

HHH, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers