STDs Expert Forum
Area under foreskin peeling

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Area under foreskin peeling

I had unprotected oral sex performed on me several times by prostitutes about four months ago. Shortly after, i was experiencing itching on the area covered by the foreskin including the area of the head of the penis that was covered. I was tested for the usual: herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea as there was some discharge at the beginning. Took zytromax? and following that there was no discharge. Strangely enough I tested negative for all. The itching was still there however. I tried not washing too hard with soap, I tried a hydrocortisone cream for a month or so. If I don't use a cream, the skin becomes dry and starts to peel. Tried Lotrimin for 2-3 months and seems to alleviate the condition, however, as soon as I stop the skin becomes dry again and starts peeling. It doesn't hurt much but the itching comes and goes. Sometimes i wake up at night. I'm also trying to figure out if it may be transmittable. Thank u for your help.
The transient discharge likely was nongonococcal urethritis (NGU), which probably is someimes acquired by oral sex - probably caused by bacteria that are normal in the mouth but cause problems in the urethra.  So it's no surprise the standard STD tests were negative.  The azithromycin (Zithrommax) probably cleared it up.

However, the penile rash/peeling doesn't sound like any STD.  I can't judge whether lotrimin helps because of its active ingredient (an anti fungal medication) or because it just moisturizes the affected area.  But if it's a fungal infection, the hydrocortisone won't help and likely would make things worse.

Bottom line:  the itching/peeling problem isn't an STD and almost certainly is coincidental with the sexual event you describe, not caused by it.  Consider seeing a dermatologist; don't use any treatment of any kind in the 10 days before your appointment.  In the meantime, you can be confident you don't have anything you can transmit to a sex partner.

Good luck--  HHH, MD