STDs Expert Forum
Atypical Herpes Situation or am I just OCD?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

As you can see from my posting history, I posted a question back in Dec 2012 about what I thought was a risky exposure I had.  

I went on a first date with a woman and made the mistake of rubbing my penis in between her buttocks without protection.  I didn't really come close to her anus, nor do I think I made contact with her vagina.  However, it was pretty vigorous and I believe it lasted for a fairly long time.  (more than 10 minutes for sure)  She is the only person I have been with sexually.

I was extremely worried about it at the time, and probably checked myself daily for symptoms during the month after.  Nothing specific happened except what I think were just anxiety symptoms.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago when I got a rash along the right side of my penis.  It was only slightly itchy and lasted about three weeks, the last week I applied hydrocortizone cream as my doctor diagnosed it as atopic dermatis.  At first it had a line of what looked like welts under the skin like you get from an allergic reaction.

About a week ago I had a brown and white bump (at least 5mm) on my outer right thigh that I was convinced was herpes.  I had a hard time seeing it so it could have been a cluster, but looked like one bump.  Unfortunately I picked at it and the next day it was clearly scabbed over and has been slowly healing and getting smaller ever since, even though I have been picking it it obsessively. A little over a week later and it is just a small scabbed over bump. (maybe a quarter of the original size or less)

Couple of questions:

1) I keep seeing that the type of exposure I had was really low risk? Is that true?  How low is low?
2)How common would it be for a male like myself to have an outbreak that resembled atopic dermatitis?
3) Is it normal to have a recurrent outbreak on the thigh like I have described?
Welcome back to our Forum.  I'll try to help.  I'm sorry you continue to worry about this exposure.

I went back and re-read your original question.  The events you describe involved a low risk non-penetrative (most herpes is spread through penetrative sex) at a site less often infected with HSV (the buttocks), of a partner who you do not know had HSV.  Even if she had HSV, your risk for infection would be less than 1 in 1000 if you were exposed to an infected site.  

The clinical presentation of HSV can vary but the infection is rarely mistaken for atopic dermatitis.  

What you describe is a great description of folliculitis at a site where folliculitis’ is common and herpes is very rare.

I urge you to put your fears of HSV aside.  If you cannot, this is something you may want to discuss with a counselor.  I say this out of concern for you, nothing more. EWH
I am sure you are probably weary of answering questions like mine, but thank you so much for taking the time to address my questions.

I know for a fact that my neurosis when it comes to catching diseases is by far worse than any chance I had of actually catching herpes.  I think the internet itself is probably my worst enemy, given how easy many sites make it seem that you can catch something.

I appreciate your concern, and I feel much better about this whole thing and will do my best to put it behind me.
Thanks.  I agree with your plans to try to avoid the Internet.  It is a major source of misinformation.  At the same time, I still think it might be advantageous for you to discuss your heightened level of concern with a counselor.  EWH
A related discussion, Concerned for STD's was started.
A related discussion, A repeated question.....but am so desperate.... was started.