STDs Community
Azithromycin dosage

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Azithromycin dosage

I received unprotected oral sex 10 days ago and decided to speak to a G.P. for STI screening.  He noticed some irritation around the tip of my penis and gave me some cream for this.  He also prescribed me a week of Augmentin Duo for a separate streptococcyl infection of my throat.
I asked him if he would prescribe me treatment for gonorreah and chlamydia whilst I wait for the results as I am going out of my mind with worry.  He advised against this but gave me a prescription of Azithromycin, with 500mg dosage twice a day for three days.  In all my research online, I have read that the recommended dosage is 1g of Azithromycin taken once.  Is the dosage I was prescribed as effective?
It might be, it does seem a little light but it could clear a STD up if you had it. Best thing is always wait for tests. And I think this is why the Dr went light on the dosage.
1 gm of azith will cure chlamydia.  You are taking 1 gm for 3 days - you don't need that much.

Aj
Would it be unadvisable for me to start the course with a 1g of Azithromycin and then finish the course as normal to be on the safe side?
Sorry Jack I misread what you wrote. As AJ said the dosage will cure chlamydia. But with oral sex chlymida is not a concern, gonorrhea could be but it is a small risk.

At this point I might not even start the medication and wait for the tests.
Thanks Aj, my concern was that a 500mg dose twice a day wouldn't be as strong as a single 1g dose.  Does your advice mean that the dosage I was prescribed should be sufficient, i.e. 2 x 500mg doses per day for 3 days, rather than 1 x 1g dose?
If you want to cure chlamydia or NGU, take 1 gm at one time.  You don't need the rest of it.

Aj
Will 1g Azithromycin also treat gonorreah?
No, you need a shot of a different med to cure gonorrhea.

Aj
I have a clear chlamydia like discharge from my penis but with no pain when urinating and I'm kinda afraid to go to the clinic to get tested because I'm kinda protective about people knowing what I have. Should I just order the 1g azithromycin and take it just to clear this chlamydia like discharge?
its my 2mo and 2wks day of this infection. i tried quinnolones and the recent was doxycycline but im not well yet. what other med shud i take? please help