STDs Expert Forum
Azithromycin for STDs

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Azithromycin for STDs

I recently visited two sex workers and had protected vaginal with both and unprotected oral with one of the ladies. About 2 weeks after these visits I had mild irritation and on one morning a small amount of white material at the end of my penis. A MD prescribed 2 grams of azithromycin one time for this a week ago. I also have had a previous bout of prostatitis due to Proteus (years ago).  My questions are 1. What was my risk of stds (gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV, NGU could happen), 2. Would this medication address the STDs and 3. Do I need a "test of cure"?
Welcome to the STD forum.

It seems you either had NGU due to the oral sex exposure, or relapse of your previous prostatitis.  From you description, I cannot tell which -- but the timing is right for NGU, perhaps due to normal mouth bacteria.  You have been treated in the standard way with azithromycin, in a dose that also would have cured gonorrhea (although I doubt that is what you had).

1) HIV and chlamydial infection are very rare, if they occur at all, from oral sex.  Gonorrhea unlikely -- usually causes symptoms in 2-5 days, with large amounts of pus dripping from the penis.  But as noted above, NGU is a good possibility.

2) The treatment was correct and addresses all the likely possibilities.

3) No test of cure is needed if your symptoms clear up and do not recur.

It seems your doctor is knowledgeable about STD diagnosis and treatment, and probably also understands prostatitis. Return to him or her for reevaluation if your symptoms don't clear up or return.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks for your prompt reply. I am glad you think the 2 g of azithromycin would address NGU and gonorrhea. I have had some mucus stands in my urine for 2-3 months (if not longer) which started before my sexual risk exposures I outlined. This could be prostatitis. Looking at today's posts, you had a lot of similar questions today. Thanks again!