STDs Community
Azithromycin for Trichomoniasis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Azithromycin for Trichomoniasis?

I met a girl a few months ago and started having unprotected sex with her several times a week. About a month later I noticed that the "lips" at the tip of my penis were very swollen, the head of my penis hurt if I squeezed it, my urine sprayed everywhere instead of coming out in a stream, and I had burning during urination. I went to the doctor and he said it sounded like either Chlamydia or Gonorrhea and took a urine sample. A few days later my results came in and I tested positive for Chlamydia. I was prescribed 1 gram of Azithromycin and the symptoms cleared up within a couple of days.

I informed the girl and she got tested for all STDs. The doctor took a pap smear and immediately noticed Trichomoniasis. She was prescribed medication for it that she took twice a day for 7 days (I don't know what it was called). A couple weeks later her results came back from the lab and I went to the clinic with her for support because she was worried. To our relief, she tested positive for Chlamydia and negative for everything else. She was given 1 gram of Zithromax.

I have not been tested for Trichomoniasis but since I had unprotected sex with someone who tested positive for it, I'm assuming that I have it now. 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the head of my penis had a mild tingling sensation during masturbation and if I did a "kegel" exercise. However, it disappeared within 3 days and has not returned. Also, I am not sure, but I think the “lips” at the tip of my penis may be very slightly swollen sometimes. However, it doesn't seem to always be swollen. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things from thinking about this so much or if it actually is swollen. I never paid much attention to that part of my body before all of this happened, so I'm really not sure. I feel completely fine and have no symptoms other than this, which may just be my mind playing tricks on me.

I was researching Trichomoniasis online and one website mentioned that Azithromycin is one treatment for it. Since I was given Azithromycin for the Chlamydia, would this have also cured the Trichomoniasis as well? If not, is there any way a doctor would prescribe me the Trichomoniasis medication without testing? I have read that a swab test is needed to diagnose Trichomoniasis, and I've heard swab testing is incredibly painful so I'd like to avoid that if possible. I also don't want my parents to see that I was tested for it because I'm under their insurance. I don't really see what the point would be in testing me anyway.
You could very well have trich from your partner and not be experiencing any symptoms.  It is usually asymptomatic in men. If you are not sure if you are having symptoms and think that you might be imagining them then you are probably correct.

The fact that your partner tested positive for trich should qualify you for getting treated without getting tested for it. Trich is difficult to diagnose in men anyway (you could test negative for it and still possibly have it).

The standard medication for trich is metronidazole, not azithromycin. Trich is caused by a parasite not a bacterium so antibiotics would probably not be effective.

You should see your doctor for proper treatment for trich and avoid unprotected sexual intercourse with this partner (or anyone else) until you are successfully treated.
OK, I was aware that Trichomoniasis isn't a bacteria so I thought it was a little odd that Azithromycin would cure it.

I  know it makes no sense, but when I went to the clinic with the girl, the nurse told me they would not give me the medication for trich unless I was swab tested first, but I had to leave to go to work so I didn't have time. If I go to another doctor and tell them the story, do you think they'll write me the prescription without testing me?
They should write you a prescription when you vist but I'm not sure if you will be able to avoid the swab test also. From what I have read, though, the test isn't very reliable. I don't have a clue either why your nurse insisted on a test and refused to treat you.

If you have had sex with this girl after she was treated for trich, she will need to be retreated.  

The thread below gives Dr. HHH's view on testing for trich in men.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Trichomonas-positive---negative/show/325896

I haven't had sex with anyone since we found out what was going on.

I don't understand what the point of making me get tested is... Hopefully I will be able to find a doctor with some common sense who will just write me the prescription.